[dsg] Re: Kamma - it's only the linchpin

  • Robert E
    Message 1 of 70 , Dec 9, 2012
      Hi Herman.

      --- In dhammastudygroup@yahoogroups.com, Herman <hhofmeister@...> wrote:

      > No disagreement here. But the key is that I prefaced my statement about
      > kamma/vipaka with "awareness/insight". I accept that without these, people
      > run on auto-pilot, and act on the basis of accumulated thinking. No such
      > excuse exists with awareness/insight, there's not even a good excuse to do
      > anything at all. Hence jhana :-)

      It's only a matter of excuses if volition equals accomplishment, which it generally does not. Again we seem to have a conflict between an idealized instantaneous view of enlightenment, and the long, hard plodding path that works in annoyingly tiny increments.

      Joseph Conrad said "Art is long and life is short and success is very far off." How much further off is enlightenment. Awareness can only be cultivated one breath at a time.

      Best,
      Rob E.

      - - - - - - - - - - - - -
      Message 70 of 70 , Jan 2, 2013
        Hi Ken H,

        --- In dhammastudygroup@yahoogroups.com, "Ken H" <kenhowardau@...> wrote:

        > KH: I am tempted to say "Hooray, I was right all along!" but there is sure to be a catch.
        S: The catch is really when we think that it's "I" who was right (or wrong) and forget about dhammas again:-)

        > KH: Good, I hope we can all agree on that. I am prepared to accept that my [personal, idiosyncratic] way of expanding on that point is incomprehensible to others and sounds like armchair philosophy, or intellectualising. I shall refrain from holding court on that particular subject for the foreseeable future.

        S: So many DSGers including ourselves, Nina, Lukas, Alberto, the Vietnamese & Jagkrit will be travelling as from today (for those from Europe) and from tomorrow (for those like ourselves in Asia) - so look forward to reading your expansions and those of others while we're away:-)

        > KH: Yes, one moment at a time. So there is really no 14 year period and no travelling to HK; there is just the present reality.

        > PPS: Corrections welcome! :-)
        S: All sounds good to me.