Right thinking (? for Nina)

  • philip
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 1, 2012
      Dear Nina

      I read in a transcript that there can be right thinking and wrong thinking. I might ordinarily think of right thinking as defined in some sutta or other, I forget. Perhaps MN 19 or 20, thoughts of ill-will, thoughts of
      cruelty, etc. But here it seems different, there is something like, when there is seeing usually there is instantly thinking of a concept based on what is seen but instead there can be studying of the reality instead. Is this what is meant by "right thinking" here, "studying" the reality (e.g visible object) instead of thinking of person or thing?

      Phil
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 1, 2012
        Dear Phil,
        Op 1-dec-2012, om 14:16 heeft philip het volgende geschreven:

        > I read in a transcript that there can be right thinking and wrong
        > thinking. I might ordinarily think of right thinking as defined in
        > some sutta or other, I forget. Perhaps MN 19 or 20, thoughts of ill-
        > will, thoughts of
        > cruelty, etc. But here it seems different, there is something like,
        > when there is seeing usually there is instantly thinking of a
        > concept based on what is seen but instead there can be studying of
        > the reality instead. Is this what is meant by "right thinking"
        > here, "studying" the reality (e.g visible object) instead of
        > thinking of person or thing?

        ------
        N: Right thinking, sammaaasankappa, of the eightfold Path, that
        accompanies right understanding and right mindfulness of the
        eightfold Path. It leads citta to the right object, the naama or
        ruupa appearing at this very moment. It hits the object so that
        understanding can know it.
        In Poland Acharn often spoke about vitakka, leading the citta to the
        object.

      • philip
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 1, 2012
          Hi Nina

          Thanks for the explanation. I guess it best not to think much about sammasankappa or vitekka that is kusala or this or that. When there is listening to Dhamma and reflecting when reflecting arises due to cobditions, sammasankappa might possibly arise. But as soon as we want to have it or try to have it, obviously the dome of lobha (cemented by wrong view) is built again and any openings to understanding cannot be. Does that sound right to you? (And if it sounds right, it is thinking about a concept therefore it can be a kind of correct thinking in a sense but not sammasankappa which must have paramattha dhamma as object?)

          Thanks Nina

          Appreciating your transcripts. Lots of files filled with them in the members files section. I recordthem on to audio and listen, I find listening is best for some reason, usually the mind is leaping around but sometimes things click and there is a moment of deep reflection that passes very quicly, very anatta, no control or trying to have control. Different cittas than when seeking control through meditation.

          phil
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 2, 2012
            Dear Phil,
            Op 2-dec-2012, om 0:44 heeft philip het volgende geschreven:

            > Thanks for the explanation. I guess it best not to think much about
            > sammasankappa or vitekka that is kusala or this or that. When there
            > is listening to Dhamma and reflecting when reflecting arises due to
            > cobditions, sammasankappa might possibly arise. But as soon as we
            > want to have it or try to have it, obviously the dome of lobha
            > (cemented by wrong view) is built again and any openings to
            > understanding cannot be. Does that sound right to you? (And if it
            > sounds right, it is thinking about a concept therefore it can be a
            > kind of correct thinking in a sense but not sammasankappa which
            > must have paramattha dhamma as object?)

            -----
            N: Yes, it must have a paramattha dhamma as object.
            It arises already at a moment of direct awareness and right
            understanding of a naama or ruupa.
            -----