Re: [dsg] Re: Intro from Eileen

    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 27, 2012
      Dear Eileen,
      Op 27-nov-2012, om 12:30 heeft Eileen Iseman het volgende geschreven:

      > My life at this moment is very financially stressful and also very
      > stressful because of health reasons.
      > I believe that G-d allows crisis into our lives as a wake-up
      > call. Change is needed!
      ------
      N: I sympathize with you. Yes, we all need wake up calls. There are
      also audio talks you can listen to. It is good to consult with Sarah
      which you could listen to first. There are so many uploaded in
      <http://dhammastudygroup.org/> and you have to scroll just to the
      bottom. I find the last ones, the Poland talk very helpful. Also
      the ones with Eric are good to begin with.

    • Eileen Iseman
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 28, 2012
        thank you for your input.  I appreciate you help.
        Eileen

        ________________________________

        ------
        N: I sympathize with you. Yes, we all need wake up calls. There are
        also audio talks you can listen to. It is good to consult with Sarah
        which you could listen to first. There are so many uploaded in
        <http://dhammastudygroup.org/> and you have to scroll just to the
        bottom. I find the last ones, the Poland talk very helpful. Also
        the ones with Eric are good to begin with.

      • Herman
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 28, 2012
          Hi Eileen,

          On 27 November 2012 22:30, Eileen Iseman <
          foreverandalwaysgrateful@...> wrote:

          > **
          >

          > I am a mother to 3 daughters and a grandmother to Julia (17 yrs old)
          > Harrison (9 yrs old) Haley (1 mo. old)
          > and Nina (to be born around Dec 18).
          > Life has been financial difficult since Walt (husband) had to close his
          > office due to economical hardship.
          > Walt has not been well (colon cancer) but the operation recommended is so
          > extremely for a small
          > clustor of cancer cells that we are going the holitic route.
          > I am an animal lover and animal advocate.
          > I am Jewish and Walt is a Christian. Our marriage is the 2nd for both of
          > us.
          > My goal now extends beyond religion to spirituality. I have read books on
          > reincarnation and that
          > along with Ram Dass has started me on this journey.
          > We live in South Jersey--between Atlantic City and Philadelphia Pa. I was
          > born and riased in
          > Philadelphia and most of my relatives still live in the Philadelphia area.
          > My life at this moment is very financially stressful and also very
          > stressful because of health reasons.
          > I believe that G-d allows crisis into our lives as a wake-up call.
          > Change is needed! That is where
          > I am right now.
          > G-d bless, Eileen

          You are in good company, in so far as the Buddha's path also came from the
          realisation that we are heading for a precipice on a freight train without
          brakes. It is unstoppable.

          You mentioned earlier that you were going beyond religious dogma, which I
          second. A little warning - do not discard the dogma of your heritage only
          to pick up new dogma :-)

          The other thing is, don't throw the baby out with the bath water. There is
          plenty in your heritage worth considering again and again.

          For example:

          Phil helpfully posted: the eye is compared to an ocean, because it cannot
          be filled. We are attached to the eyesense and we want to go on seeing, it
          never is enough.

          Compare that to Ecclesiastes 1:8

          All things are wearisome, more than one can say. The eye never has enough
          of seeing, nor the ear its fill of hearing.

          No criticism of Phil intended, but personally I prefer the version from the
          Bible.

          --
          Cheers

          Herman

          I do not know what I do not know

          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 29, 2012
            Dear Eileen,

            Thank you for your detailed introduction and for telling us about your family. My best wishes to Walt with his treatment.

            I understand that you're facing a lot of difficulties at the moment.

            The Buddha taught that the real difficulties in life are lobha (attachment), dosa (aversion) and moha (ignorance). So it seems as though are problems are the situation we and our loved ones find ourselves in, such as you describe, but actually the real problems come down to the thinking in an unwholesome way about what is seen, heard, smelt, tasted and touched now.

            For example, when we are caring for others or offering assistance or understanding a little more about what life really is at this moment, there is no difficulty. The difficulty begins when there is attachment and worry and dislike of our unpleasant feelings.

            The change has to come from a development of wisdom and understanding.

            Metta

            Sarah.

            --- In dhammastudygroup@yahoogroups.com, Eileen Iseman <foreverandalwaysgrateful@...> wrote:

            > I am a mother to 3 daughters and a grandmother to Julia (17 yrs old) Harrison (9 yrs old) Haley (1 mo. old)
            > and Nina (to be born around Dec 18).
            > Life has been financial difficult since Walt (husband) had to close his office due to economical hardship.
            <...>