Re: [dsg] Vietnam

  • Tam Bach
    Message 1 of 20 , Nov 21, 2012

      Dear Sarah,

      S: Great if you give brief summaries of your discussions like this. I was particularly glad to hear that Mr "So what?" came too. Is his real name Vinh? I like his approach of questioning and still have his "so what?" note in my book as a souvenir:-) Hope he also asks some of his challenging qus here as well. He said he likes writing. Did his friend, Ninh come too?
      T: Yes Sarah, his real name is Vinh. His friend Ninh also came, very keen and enthusiastic. I hope they both can join and post on DSG soon.
      ..
      > Some of us can not access the DSG's yahoo groups, the same problem I encountered before, while another person has registered. It apparently depends on computer and service provider...
      T: we have advised those having difficulty with the access to use a "right" computer to sign up, then continue to follow through e-mails, just like me.

      p.s Tai - we hung the Vietnamese hanging from your company on the wall in our tiny flat in Hong Kong and I'm looking at it now - all the intricate designs of the cittas from moment to moment.
      T: Thai will read this once his signing-up problem is settled :-)

      Tam

    • Tam Bach
      Message 2 of 20 , Nov 24, 2012
        Dear friends,

        We had our group discussion today, with many members absence, for various reasons. We wanted to understand more about sati cetasika, so, we read the chapter on sati in Nina's book "cetasikas". We paused several times to discuss the meaning of what's been read. It was good to know the many aspects of sati in details like that.  We were particularly glad with two reminders:
        - Hearing teaching about kusala and akusala (at level of dana and sila and samatha) conditions the arising of sati, which is not forgetful, takes up kusala, allowing us to not waste opportunities for kusala. Sometime (quite often) we tend to forget about this....

        - Hearing teaching about realities again and again condition the arising of sati which is aware of nama and rupa - never enough - we still know so little...

        Thank you Nina, and anumodana !

        metta,
        Tam

        Message 3 of 20 , May 12, 2014
          Dear Friends,

          About to set off for the airport for a flight to Da Nang in central Vietnam…..

          A.Sujin and Thai friends arrive 3 days later,  when we'll be staying in Hoi An, so may have a chance to post before then…

          =======

        • Sukinder
          Message 4 of 20 , May 12, 2014
            Dear Sarah,

            Hope you have a happy and productive time.
            Please send my regards to all our Vietnamese friends.

            Metta,
            Sukin

            Message 5 of 20 , May 13, 2014
              Dear Sarah,
              Op 13 mei 2014, om 06:27 heeft Sukinder sukinder@... [dhammastudygroup] het volgende geschreven:

              > Hope you have a happy and productive time.
              > Please send my regards to all our Vietnamese friends.
              -------
              N: I join Sukin in his good wishes, and also warmest regards to Acharn and our Thai friends. I will be thinking of you all,

            • Azita Gill
              Message 6 of 20 , May 13, 2014
                Hallo Sarah,

                I add my good wishes to Sukin's and Nina's for our Vietnamese friends and
                Acharn.
                May all beings be happy.

                patience, courage and good cheer
                azita

              • philofillet
                Message 7 of 20 , May 13, 2014
                  Dear S&J Yes, please say hello to the Vietnamese. Meeting them was a real lesson in a kusala way of life. I would have enjoyed that trip, no doubt, not minding the breaks for translation, just enjoying the wholesome energy..------ Phil

                • tam bach
                  Message 8 of 20 , May 13, 2014
                    Thanks Nina, Sukin, Azita, Phil for your kind words !

                    I hope there will be an opportunity for our group to meet all of you some
                    day, somewhere....

                    Everyone here is counting down the days, both for the opportunity to
                    listening to the Dhamma and the joy of being together again. Some will be
                    meeting Ajahn for the first time but have listened to her on tapes again
                    and again with much respect and gratitude. Some are excited to participate
                    in such events for the first time; some are busy showing their families
                    around, before having them join the discussions...

                    Up and down, wholesomeness and unwholesomeness occur everyday, but we feel
                    so fortunate to have the Buddha as refuge, and also to have met Ajhan as
                    well as other good friends in Dhamma who help elucidate his Teaching to
                    shed a light on each moment of our daily life...

                    Yesterday was Vesakha day, some of us (including Chep, our 6 year old
                    dhamma friend) went to the local temple to pay respect to our Great Teacher.

                    Best wishes and metta from all of us,

                    Tam

                    On Wed, May 14, 2014 at 7:57 AM, philco777@... [dhammastudygroup] <
                    dhammastudygroup@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                    > Dear S&J Yes, please say hello to the Vietnamese. Meeting them was a real
                    > lesson in a kusala way of life. I would have enjoyed that trip, no doubt,
                    > not minding the breaks for translation, just enjoying the wholesome
                    > energy..------ Phil

                  • sarahprocterabbott
                    Message 9 of 20 , May 14, 2014
                      Dear Sukin, Nina, Azita & Phil,
                      >>Suk Hope you have a happy and productive time.
                      > Please send my regards to all our Vietnamese friends.
                      -------
                      >N: I join Sukin in his good wishes, and also warmest regards to Acharn and our Thai friends. I will be thinking of you all,
                      S: Thank you all for your good wishes and of course we'll be glad to pass on your warm regards. I'm sure the discussions will be very beneficial for everyone and we'll be assisting Ajahn as best we can. Sorry none of you were able to join us. Keep up the posting!

                      From Hong Kong it's a very short flight, closer than Bangkok, but a different world - or so it seems.

                      Seeing, hearing, smelling, tasting, touching as usual, but now thinking about the 'tranquil sights' and beautiful beach, back to the Vietnam War, as we're staying on what was China Beach (now Da Nang Beach). These days the main local concerns are about the Chinese oil-rig installation, not far from here at all.

                      Always something to think about, to worry about and always conditions to forget about seeing now, hearing now, one universe at a time now!

                      A couple of days of rest and 'catch-up' before greatly looking forward to meeting Tam & Mai for lunch and then the Thai group a little later on Friday!

                      Many people have also told us about the Buddhist processions, lanterns, visiting of temples (as Tam said) and so on during the Buddhist holiday (Wesak). Interesting!

                      Extremely hot here (big contrast to cool, grey, very heavy rain in Hong Kong before we left).... evening and cooler now, so we can go for a swim. I burnt my feet on the sand earlier! More variegated cittas, more stories about more rupas.

                      ======

                      Message 10 of 20 , May 14, 2014
                        Dear Sarah, such a delightful mixture of daily life and Dhamma, I enjoyed reading it. I sent it on to Gabi, since she has also a real talent doing this. I said to her to write since she writes well.
                        Nina.
                        Op 14 mei 2014, om 12:16 heeft sarahprocterabbott@... [dhammastudygroup] het volgende geschreven:

                        Message 11 of 20 , May 14, 2014
                          Dear Nina,

                          >N: ...such a delightful mixture of daily life and Dhamma, I enjoyed reading it. I sent it on to Gabi, since she has also a real talent doing this. I said to her to write since she writes well.

                          S: Thanks, Nina! I think of you every time we climb stairs or wilt in the heat! We went out before 5 a.m. this morning for walk along the beach and long swim to avoid the sun. Surprising how many other people - fishermen and locals mainly - were already out. Of course, it'll be fine for our discussions which will be indoors.

                          Yes, would be nice if Gabi wrote here. Also hope she can join us again in Thailand.

                          And again, we think about meeting Vietnamese and Thai friends tomorrow or Thailand in January, but all "just like now"! As A.Sujin always reminds us, we already have everything we ever wished for - seeing, hearing, smelling, tasting, touching now! Usually we're lost in one 'drama', 'thriller', 'comedy', 'romance' or 'tragedy' of our dream-worlds, but occasionally, there's a brief "waking-up" and a little understanding of life at this moment.

                          ======