[dsg] Re: Vietnam 1

  • truth_aerator
    Message 1 of 42 , Nov 20, 2012
      Dear Sarah, all,

      >S: What is effort, viriya? Is it a conditioned mental factor or is >it a Self?

      It is anatta and fully conditioned. But if it is not produced, it doesn't arise.

      > >A: Eradication of self view starts (as appears in the suttas) with dana and other ethical qualities. Jataka tales are an example. I am yet to find a Jataka where Bodhisatta started with reading books.
      > S: Is the first factor of the 8-fold path dana or samma ditthi?

      Preliminary path seems to start with Dana and other merit making things. N8P comes later.

      >Can there be a beginning of the path which leads to the eradication >of self view without an understanding of seeing, visible object, >attachment and thinking?

      True understanding requires lots of factors. Merely thinking and reading is not enough. IMHO.

      With metta,

      Alex
    • truth_aerator
      Message 42 of 42 , Nov 27, 2012
        Dear Sarah,

        >S: Before, you wrote "it is anatta and fully conditioned. but if it is >not produced, it doesn't arise."
        >
        >What did this mean? What is the difference between 'conditioned' and >'produced'?

        Produced = arisen due to causes for it to arise.

        With best wishes,

        Alex