Re: The fat controller

  • ptaus1
    Message 1 of 50 , Nov 19, 2012
      Hi Alex,

      > >I think KenH's actually saying we are incompetent students.
      >
      > What about Sati, Arittha, Devadatta?

      Don't know really. Haven't met them either. I guess something might be said about their excellent fortune (kamma, accumulations, etc) to meet and converse with the Buddha. Mine's crap in comparison. I think I once read that Devadatta went straight to hell for spilling the Buddha's blood, but once that bad kamma expires, in the next lifetime he'll go on to become a Paccekabuddha. I'll be stuck in the round for a lot longer after that I think.

      > How do we know that certain teacher of Buddhism is competent?

      Yeah, sorry, I don't really know about that either. Sometimes it might be useful to adopt KenH's thing - no such thing as a teacher in the first place, and just move on. I guess it largely goes down to interest - if I'm interested in something, I'll read it, regardless of who's the teacher. Lately, I'm not really interested in anything, modern teachers or the suttas, but that probably doesn't mean that some modern teacher or the Buddha is incompetent. So, what is "interest" and where does it come from might be good questions to consider.

      Best wishes
      pt
      Message 50 of 50 , Nov 26, 2012
        Dear Josh,

        --- In dhammastudygroup@yahoogroups.com, "jrg493" <uriopollu@...> wrote:

        > > S: In case you haven't delved into "Useful Posts" in the files section, here's your chance!
        > >
        > > If you look under the headings:
        > >
        > > - Vinnana & Nibbana, vinnana anidassaana
        > >
        > > - Kevatta Sutta
        > >
        > > - Udana - Nibbana
        > >
        > > You'll find lots and lots of detail....
        > >

        > I'll do so. I must admit that many times I've done a search in the archive & got the response "over 5,000 results!"
        S: That's why we have a "useful posts" section:-)

        > I have noticed that these same themes seem --- & these same portions of sutta --- seem to be a kind of perennial set of talking points all throughout the English internet when it comes to nibbana, although they're easily & efficiently settled as *not* equivalent to any pre-existing sects.
        S: There's always more interest in nibbana or in finding some eternal essence than there is in understanding present realities. Why? Ignorance and wrong view always take us away from what can be experienced and known now. Also the idea of self is so deeply rooted that there are always efforts to look for some esoteric support for the wrong views in the Buddha's teachings.

        > Kansas has quite a reputation. :)
        >
        > I've only lived in Kansas three years now, but I had a working knowledge of Theravada a long time ago (although with barely any interest in Abhidhamma). I've studied a lot of different schools of Indian thought (Buddhist & non-Buddhist) & I think I came to appreciate a more exacting analysis of things only over time. I decided, practically, on Theravada & figured I needed to get a handle on Abhidhamma & at least a functional awareness of Pali terms if I was going to do that. And I happened to be in Kansas.

        S: Thanks for your summary. I'm glad you found us here. You can contribute a lot whilst getting "a handle on Abhidhamma":-) What does it mean to get such a "handle"? It means just beginning to understand what appears now, seeing, visible object, attachment, thinking and so on - all anatta.