Poland during a walk at noon. On Sadness.

    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 19, 2012
      Dear friends,

      Poland, during a walk at noon.

      Acharn: Each moment is once in a lifetime, even a moment of sadness.
      It never comes back. That is all. That is the way to have less
      clinging. There must be the understanding of realities as not self,
      otherwise it does not work at all.

      Sarah: You said to Lukas that sadness seems so great, but that it is
      nothing compared to what will come. Did you mean in this life or in
      other lives?

      Acharn: It depends on pa~n~naa whether it can see that. Sadness now
      is not the same as sadness a moment ago.

      Sarah: you often talk about passing a test. There cannot be the
      passing of a test with this little bit of sadness now. What will it
      be when it is something serious?

      Acharn: One can see that the manner of development of pa~n~naa is
      little by little. Otherwise there will not be great pa~n~naa. When
      sound appears, think of nothing at all, no thing, except sound. Or
      nothing at all, except hardness, only that is reality.

      *******

      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 19, 2012
        Dear Nina & all,

        A small correction below:

        >________________________________
        > From: Nina van Gorkom <vangorko@...>

        >Poland, during a walk at noon.
        >
        >Acharn: Each moment is once in a lifetime, even a moment of sadness.
        >It never comes back. That is all. That is the way to have less
        >clinging. There must be the understanding of realities as not self,
        >otherwise it does not work at all.
        >
        >Sarah: You said to Lukas that sadness seems so great, but that it is
        >nothing compared to what will come. Did you mean in this life or in
        >other lives?
        >
        >Acharn: It depends on pa~n~naa whether it can see that. Sadness now
        >is not the same as sadness a moment ago.
        >
        >Sarah: you often talk about passing a test. There cannot be the
        >passing of a test with this little bit of sadness now. What will it
        >be when it is something serious?

        S: This was not quite right. What I said was: "*If* there cannot be the passing of a test with this little bit of sadness now, what will it be like when it is something serious?"
        It's a rhetorical question to Lukas and others, beginning with IF.

        In other words, if there is no understanding, no awareness now when we experience ordinary worldly conditions, how will there be any understanding, any detachment later? This is because it has to begin at this moment, whilst experiencing seeing, hearing, ordinary ups and downs in life. As KS goes on to elaborate, panna has to grow.

        We may experience really great pain in this life or lives to come - so many reminders in the Tipitaka - now is the time to develop panna as we go through the ordinary daily tests and trials. Only visible object or sound that is experienced, followed by so may stories with lobha, dosa or moha.

        >Acharn: One can see that the manner of development of pa~n~naa is
        >little by little. Otherwise there will not be great pa~n~naa. When
        >sound appears, think of nothing at all, no thing, except sound. Or
        >nothing at all, except hardness, only that is reality.
        >
        >*******

        S: Good reminders! Just one world at a time! I'm glad you're enjoying the recordings. We have one more to upload at the time, but it's been tricky as Jon had the pause button on for a large chunk, so we're having to "patch" in some from Jagkrit's recording. Last night we were trying to find the places to do this!

        ======
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 20, 2012
          Dear Sarah,
          thank you for the correction. I listen and stop and write, listen and
          stop and in this way I miss out words. Thank you also for the very
          meaningful elaboration. We cannot hear this enough.
          Op 19-nov-2012, om 22:21 heeft sarah abbott het volgende geschreven:

          > In other words, if there is no understanding, no awareness now when
          > we experience ordinary worldly conditions, how will there be any
          > understanding, any detachment later? This is because it has to
          > begin at this moment, whilst experiencing seeing, hearing, ordinary
          > ups and downs in life. As KS goes on to elaborate, panna has to grow.
          >
          > We may experience really great pain in this life or lives to come -
          > so many reminders in the Tipitaka - now is the time to develop
          > panna as we go through the ordinary daily tests and trials. Only
          > visible object or sound that is experienced, followed by so may
          > stories with lobha, dosa or moha.
          ------
          N: And I like this one you quote:
          <A.Sujin: While now there can be a moment of sadness, a moment of
          pleasant feeling - just realitiy. Pa~n~naa sees it as just a reality.
          When pa~n~naa doesn't arise, it's "I" who is very happy or very sad,
          but when sadness arises, pa~n~naa can understand it as a dhamma and
          in understanding, it becomes detached. Other realities can appear
          naturally. So in the Tipitaka, it says that all the 4 Noble Truths
          are very, very subtle, not only one - nibbana. Even the Eightfold
          Path is very subtle.>

          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 21, 2012
            Dear Nina & all,

            --- In dhammastudygroup@yahoogroups.com, Nina van Gorkom <vangorko@...> wrote:

            > thank you for the correction. I listen and stop and write, listen and
            > stop and in this way I miss out words.
            S: No problem. I just listened to the relevant part and I've inserted the corrections in your transcript below:
            ******
            Poland, during a walk at noon.

            Acharn: Each moment is once in a lifetime, even a moment of sadness.
            It never comes back. That is all. That is the way to have less
            clinging. There must be the understanding of realities as not self,
            otherwise it does not work at all.

            Sarah: And when you said to Lukas before the sadness may seem so great, but it's
            nothing to what will come. Did you mean in this life or in
            other lives?

            Acharn: Even in this life.

            Sarah: It will be much worse.

            Acharn: It depends on pa~n~naa whether it can see that. Sadness now
            is not the same as sadness a moment ago.

            Sarah: You often talk about, or you used to talk about, "passing the tests". If there cannot be the passing of the test with this little bit of sadness now, what will one do when it's really something serious!

            Acharn: So one can see the value of the development of pa~n~naa,
            little by little, otherwise there will not be great pa~n~naa. Think of nothing at all, no thing, except sound. And nothing at all, except hardness, only that is reality.

            Jon: And a lot of thinking!

            Acharn: Yes.
            ========