Re: The Great Compassion of the Buddha

    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 27, 2012
      Dear Han,

      --- In dhammastudygroup@yahoogroups.com, han tun <hantun1@...> wrote:

      > In Pa.tisambhidaamagga (The Path of Discrimination) there are six knowledges possessed exclusively by the Buddha and not shared by his Disciples. One of them is the Great Compassion (mahaakaru.naa~naa.na). With my limited knowledge, I cannot explain the difference between the karu.naa of the Buddha and the karu.naa of his Disciples.
      >
      > Nevertheless, for your information, I give you the full text of the Great Compassion of the Buddha, taken from Pa.tisambhidaamagga, together with the Paa.li text. Paragraph numbers within square brackets are inserted by me.
      <...>

      S: Yes excellent (#127347). I hadn't read this post when I made my other comments. I appreciate all your hard work a lot.

      > ---------------
      >
      > CHAPTER LXXI. THE GREAT COMPASSION
      <....>

      > [90] Upon the Enlightened Ones, the Blessed Ones, who see thus "I have crossed over and the world has not crossed over; I am liberated and the world is not liberated; I am controlled and the world is uncontrolled; I am at peace and the world is not at peace; I am comforted and the world is comfortless; I am extinguished and the world is unextinguished; I, having crossed over, can bring across; I, being liberated, can liberate; I, being controlled, can teach control; I, being at peace, can pacify; I, being comforted, can comfort; I, being extinguished, can teach extinguishment", there descends the Great Compassion for beings.
      > [90] "Aha~ncamhi ti.n.no, loko ca ati.n.no aha.m camhi mutto, loko ca amutto; aha~ncamhi danto, loko ca adanto; aha.m camhi santo, loko ca asanto; aha.m camhi assattho, loko ca anassattho; aha.m camhi parinibbuto, loko ca aparinibbuto; pahomi khvaaha.m ti.n.no taaretu.m, mutto mocetu.m, danto dametu.m, santo sametu.m, assattho assaasetu.m, parinibbuto pare ca parinibbaapetun"ti passantaana.m buddhaana.m bhagavantaana.m sattesu mahaakaru.naa okkamati.
      >
      > This is the Perfect One's knowledge of the attainment of the Great Compassion.
      > Ida.m tathaagatassa mahaakaru.naasamaapattiyaa ~naa.na.m.
      >
      > ----------------
      >
      > Han: I think the last paragraph holds the *key* to the greatness of the Great Compassion of the Buddha. The Buddha not only has the great compassion for all the beings, but he also teaches, shows the way, and helps the beings, who are ready (venayya satta), to be liberated from the suffering and the round of rebirth, like he himself has been liberated.
      >
      > In paragraphs [15] [16] [19] [42] [43] [44 to 49] [51] [53] [54] [59] [60] I find the phrase: "there is none other than myself to..." which means that only the Buddha and no one else, not even his Disciples, can perform that respective task for the beings. This may also indicate the greatness of the Great Compassion of the Buddha.
      >
      > This is just my humble opinion. There may be more to it that I do not know.
      S: Good comments and as you suggest, it is made very clear why the Buddha's compassion is incomparable.

      > The Paa.li word "lokasannivaaso" is interesting. "loka-sannivaasa" is translated by Ven Bhikkhu Nanamoli as "worldly life". PTS Dictionary gives the meaning as "the society of men", "all the world" (page 679). The reader may take the meaning he/she prefers.
      S: Thank you and anumodana.

    • han tun
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 28, 2012
        Dear Sarah,

        Thank you very much for your kind words and appreciation.
        That has been the greatest reward for me.

        with metta and respect,
        Han

        Dear Han,

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 28, 2012
          Dear Han,
          This is one of my favorites of the Pa.tisambidhaamagga.
          Is it on line, or did you type it all out? I keep it in my file of
          Pali readings.
          anumodana,
          Nina.

          Op 23-okt-2012, om 22:31 heeft han tun het volgende geschreven:

          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 28, 2012
            Dear Nina,

            The Paa.li text is available on line, but the English translation I have to type it.
            Thank you very much for your anumodana, Nina.
            It gives me the strength to continue posting messages.

            with metta and respect,
            Han