Unborn and Undying Awareness, citta, consciousness...

  • truth_aerator
    Message 1 of 98 , Oct 8, 2012
      Dear all,

      Consciousness cannot cognize its own non-existence after death or prior to its birth. Awareness cannot be aware of its own non-existence before birth or after death. Even if, lets say, there is one life - when one dies, one cannot know that one is dead. There is no consciousness, no awareness to cognize or be aware of that.

      Also if consciousness (citta) is momentary, it is the same. It itself cannot know its own non-existence.

      If aeons and aeons of existence in Samsara comes to an end, citta cannot know its own non-existence.

      Does this mean that Awareness is in a sense - "undying" even if it had limited amount to cognize?

      Any ideas, opinions, suggestions?

      With best wishes,

      Alex
    • Maipenrai Dhammasaro
      Message 98 of 98 , Jan 28, 2013
        Good friends all,
        On this mere excerpt:> So for me, dhamma is all three pitakas (though I'm obviously not a
        > bhikkhu, so much of the vinaya is not applicable). And I figure if it
        > exists in there, it *could* be useful. The Theras seem to think so.As a former bhikkhu, I strongly suggest lay persons become familiar with the Vinaya-pitaka. Just the areas between the monk and the lay person... It will prevent many misunderstandings...
        Comments???
        yours in Dhamma-vinaya,
        Chuck (formerly phra dhammasaro)