Re: MN 44. Cuu.lavedalla Sutta (8) (b)

    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 1, 2012
      Dear Han & all,

      --- In dhammastudygroup@yahoogroups.com, han tun <hantun1@...> wrote:

      > In my last post, I had mentioned that I am interested in the underlying tendency to lust that does not have to be abandoned in regard to all pleasant feeling; the underlying tendency to aversion that does not have to be abandoned in regard to all painful feeling; and the underlying tendency to ignorance that does not have to be abandoned in regard to all neither-painful-nor-pleasant feeling.
      S: Earlier you quoted:

      >[25] "Sabbaaya nu kho, ayye, sukhaaya vedanaaya raagaanusayo anuseti, sabbaaya
      dukkhaaya vedanaaya pa.tighaanusayo anuseti, sabbaaya adukkhamasukhaaya
      vedanaaya avijjaanusayo anusetii"ti?

      "Na kho, aavuso visaakha, sabbaaya sukhaaya vedanaaya raagaanusayo anuseti, na
      sabbaaya dukkhaaya vedanaaya pa.tighaanusayo anuseti, na sabbaaya
      adukkhamasukhaaya vedanaaya avijjaanusayo anusetii"ti.

      [25] 26. "Lady, does the underlying tendency to lust (raga-anusayo) underlie all
      pleasant feeling? Does the underlying tendency to aversion (pa.tigha-anusayo)
      underlie all painful feeling? Does the underlying tendency to ignorance
      (avijja-anusayo) underlie all neither-painful-nor-pleasant feeling?"

      "Friend Visaakha, the underlying tendency to lust does not underlie all
      pleasant feeling. The underlying tendency to aversion does not underlie all
      painful feeling. The underlying tendency to ignorance does not underlie all
      neither-painful-nor-pleasant feeling."
      ****
      S: Perhaps we can just point out that the various anusayas only underlie the cittas until eradicated. For example, an anagami and arahat experiences pleasant feeling, but no more raga anusaya underlying any cittas. They also experience unpleasant bodily feeling, but no more pa.tigha anusaya, likewise the arahat experiences neutral feeling, but no more avijja anusaya.

      You've added a lot more detail, I know.

      ====
    • han tun
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 1, 2012
        Dear Sarah,

        Sarah: Perhaps we can just point out that the various anusayas only underlie the cittas until eradicated. For example, an anagami and arahat experiences pleasant feeling, but no more raga anusaya underlying any cittas. They also experience unpleasant bodily feeling, but no more pa.tigha anusaya, likewise the arahat experiences neutral feeling, but no more avijja anusaya.

        Han: Thank you very much for your very useful points.
        I have noted with gratitude.
        I know you and Nina had written a lot about Latent Tendencies.
        It is still a very difficult subject for me.

        with metta and respect,
        Han