[dsg] Re: Research on bad effects of formal meditation retreat

    Message 1 of 273 , Jun 3, 2012
      Hi Rob E

      Picking up this older thread again ...

      (123748)
      --- In dhammastudygroup@yahoogroups.com, "Robert E" <epsteinrob@...> wrote:

      > Hi Jon.
      >
      > > J: OK, so meditation is also: 'Techniques prescribed by the Buddha that are practice for direct awareness (as well as the direct awareness resulting from the undertaking of such techniques)'.
      > >
      > > Comparing this to the earlier definition ('Mental exercises prescribed by the Buddha to build kusala mental states (including insight) and which lead to the development of those mental states'), perhaps you would settle on something like this:
      > > 'Mental exercises or techniques prescribed by the Buddha that, if properly carried out, give rise to kusala mental states (including insight) thereby leading to the development of those mental states.'
      > >
      > > Would this be a fair and comprehensive definition of meditation as you use the term?
      >
      > RE: On first blush, it seems to stand up very well. Obviously some holes could be found in it if investigated, but pending such adjustments, it sounds like a damned good working definition to work with.
      > ===============

      J: OK, so your definition of meditation is: "Any mental exercise or technique prescribed by the Buddha for giving rise to kusala mental states (including insight) thereby leading to the development of those mental states."

      You might be interested in the following definition of `meditation' which I came across recently: "The methodical effort to tame and master the mind and to develop its capacity for calm and insight".

      This seems similar to your own definition, with the substitution of `methodical effort' for `mental exercise or technique'.

      Any further thoughts or comments?

      Jon
    • Robert E
      Message 273 of 273 , Jun 16, 2012
        Hi Sarah.

        > S: No. As you suggest, pariyatti and wise reflection on dhammas precedes the panna of satipatthana which again needs to be developed before it is insight level.
        >
        > However, without pariyatti panna, wise reflection and understanding of (concepts of) dhammas now, there cannot be the arising and development of satipatthana (the direct understanding of realities).

        Thank you, that is helpful.

        Best,
        Rob E.