Re: [dsg] Re: Research on bad effects of formal meditation retreat

    Message 1 of 273 , Jun 3, 2012
      Dear Rob E,
      Op 3-jun-2012, om 2:18 heeft Robert E het volgende geschreven:

      > he does not apprehend any aspect
      > > classed as hand, foot, smile, laughter, talk, looking ahead, looking
      > > aside, etc., which has acquired the name `particular' because of its
      > > particularizing defilements, because of its making them manifest
      > > themselves. He only apprehends what is really there..."
      >
      > This is very, very interesting. Thanks to you, and to Nina. for
      > that very intriguing quote. It outlines a lot of important things
      > to look into. I like the lists of things that cause
      > particularization, and thus, it appears, cause objects of
      > attachment to be created through false ideas about what exists.
      -------
      N: We should not erroneously believe that we should not think of
      details like hand or foot. Nobody can prevent thinking. But thinking
      itself can be realized as only a kind of naama, only a dhamma, no
      self who thinks. This is very important.
      At the moment of understanding there is no wrong view or attachment,
      understanding can take as object the wrong view or attachment that
      has just fallen away.
      So, we do not mind whatever reality appears, it has arisen because of
      conditions, and all that is to be done: know it, discern it as only a
      dhamma. This can also take away fear. Some people worry about the
      akusala that may arise just before dying, because this can condition
      an unhappy rebirth. If there is right understanding there cannot be
      fear at the same time. Satipa.t.thaana is our island in the sea of
      samsara.

    • Robert E
      Message 273 of 273 , Jun 16, 2012
        Hi Sarah.

        > S: No. As you suggest, pariyatti and wise reflection on dhammas precedes the panna of satipatthana which again needs to be developed before it is insight level.
        >
        > However, without pariyatti panna, wise reflection and understanding of (concepts of) dhammas now, there cannot be the arising and development of satipatthana (the direct understanding of realities).

        Thank you, that is helpful.

        Best,
        Rob E.