Re: Research on bad effects of formal meditation retreat

  • philip
    Message 1 of 273 , May 2 5:22 PM
      Dear Alex

      You are invited (for the umpteenth time) to the understanding that present intention is a conditioned dhamma that arises now and now and now now now. If as is almost surely the case for the great 99.99 it is rooted in wanting for the self seeking fulfillment (unbeknownst to the non-knower) through conventional deeds, including imitating the deeds perceived in the suttanta, it will not be helpful in the long run, though it may create a sense of spiritual purpose in the short term and many pleasant mental moments. I still think this will click for you someday, my bet is still on you rather than the other members ofthe Kalama Cabal, for some reason. I put the current odds at 99.99 to 1. I think it's why you stick around here, somewhere understanding has a hand on the string and the light will soon click on!

      I will leave it at that, perhaps others will choose to umpteenth with you.

      Phil
    • Robert E
      Message 273 of 273 , Jun 16, 2012
        Hi Sarah.

        > S: No. As you suggest, pariyatti and wise reflection on dhammas precedes the panna of satipatthana which again needs to be developed before it is insight level.
        >
        > However, without pariyatti panna, wise reflection and understanding of (concepts of) dhammas now, there cannot be the arising and development of satipatthana (the direct understanding of realities).

        Thank you, that is helpful.

        Best,
        Rob E.