spd 10 (two meanings of bhuumi)

  • philip
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 30, 2012
      Dear group,

      Here is today's passage from Survey of Paramattha Dhammas by Sujin
      Boriharnwanaket:

      "As we have seen, the word 'bhuumi' (plane) can refer to the grade of citta as well as to the plane of existence for living beings. Summarizing, when bhuumi is used in the sense of grade of citta, there are these four bhuumis: kaamaavacara citta, ruupaavacara citta, aruupaavacara citta and lokuttara citta. When bhuumi is used in the sense of the place where living beings are born or the world where they live, there are thirty-one planes and these correspond with these different grades of citta: eleven kaama bhuumis, sixteen ruupa brahma planes and four aruupa-brahma planes." (p.177)

      (end of passage)

      Phil