Question to Acharn Sujin - meetings at the foundations

  • Lukas
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 4, 2012
      Dear friends, Sukin, Nina, Sarah, Jon and all,

      I am in a really tought moment in my life. I have very urgent question to Acharn Sujin. There are some meetings in Bankgok with Acharn during the week, as I know. Could anyone from DSG who is in Bangkog now, would like to go and ask some of my questions?

      I really need a support now. I am after 10 day detox, and dont want to spend two more hears in closed facility. Bad company there and bad vipaka. Also I dont want to die. That's my second day without drugs or alcohol, and it's really hard. I know this is disease and out of control. What would Acharn tell about that?

      Is it good to abstain from any intoxicants? Does bad friends, environment, somkeing cigarets a vipaka?

      Best wishes
      Lukas

    • Lukas
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 4, 2012
        Dear friends,
        Also one more question.

        If I live in bad environment in Poland, bad friends etc.. shall I run away to other more quiet place?? Or shall I accept thi is only a vipaka?

        Best wishes
        Lukas

        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 4, 2012
          Dear Lukas,

          I'm very, very glad to hear from you again - I've been thinking about you and wondering how the treatment has been going.

          Jon and I have just arrived in Sydney, so very tired and lots to do - will try to write more tomorrow.

          Lukas, be brave, be wise - you don't want to go back to the closed facility, so you need to be very strong and abstain from the intoxicants and talk to good friends, like here. As Nina said, now is the time to study Dhamma, write on Dhamma and listen to Dhamma.....and mostly importantly, as for us all, to develop more understanding of the realities now.

          A.Sujin would advise you to study, consider and be aware of seeing now, thinking, attachment, aversion and so on now. She'd also talk about the great danger of accumulating a taste for intoxicants, not just in this life but for future lives. We know from so many examples in the texts and daily life how people lose everything through addictions - family, friends, livelihood, their minds.... find other things to think about, especially the Dhamma. Take some walks, find some other friends, talk to L, visit the uni, visit your doctor if need be. Yes, maybe consider moving if you can find some work somewhere else. I know you have a lot of skills.

          There's another sutta that Phra Dhammadharo liked to recount about someone who was said by the Buddha to have been capable of becoming an arahat, but then he took to drink. At a certain point, if he had stopped he would still have been capable of becoming an anagram......a sakadagami.... a sotapanna. He didn't stop and later he wasn't capable of developing insight at all. I forget all the details. Nina or Jon may remember the one I'm thinking of.

          Usually A.Sujin doesn't have any meetings during the week - she goes away. Keep asking your questions here and different friends will give their responses, but be patient.

          p.s I think you were very brave to go for the 10 day detox. I'm sure it was really tough.

          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 4, 2012
            Dear Lukas,
            Op 4-apr-2012, om 14:17 heeft Lukas het volgende geschreven:
            > I am in a really tought moment in my life. I have very urgent
            > question to Acharn Sujin.
            >
            > I really need a support now. I am after 10 day detox, and dont want
            > to spend two more hears in closed facility. Bad company there and
            > bad vipaka. Also I dont want to die. That's my second day without
            > drugs or alcohol, and it's really hard. I know this is disease and
            > out of control. What would Acharn tell about that?

            ------
            N: She would ask you: is there seeing now? She would want to bring
            you back to the present moment, to reality now, that is all there is.
            Thinking of disease, of your sorrow of the past, it is all past and
            gone. Better to understand this moment now, also when it is thinking.
            Thinking is thinking, it is conditioned, not you.
            It is amazing, but it is always like this: whenever we have problems,
            such as fear of losing dear ones through death or fear of death, she
            would say: you are not dying now. What is there now? All this
            thinking is only thinking, and let us find out more about reality
            now. Even if you would travel now to Bgk, you would not hear a
            different answer. Ask Sukin.
            -------

            > L: Is it good to abstain from any intoxicants? Does bad friends,
            > environment, somkeing cigarets a vipaka?

            --------
            N: Abstaining is good, if you can. Being in bad company, all this is
            conditioned by the past. So is being in the company of good Dhamma
            friends. It is not by accident, it all has conditions. Good deeds in
            the past condition you being with Dhamma friends. Sometimes you are
            in bad company, sometimes in good company.
            -------
            L: If I live in bad environment in Poland, bad friends etc.. shall I
            run away to other more quiet place?? Or shall I accept thi is only a
            vipaka?

            -------
            N: One cannot always run away. Most important is our reactions to
            situations. Are they kusala or akusala? Also that is conditioned. But
            if one sees the value of kusala there are conditions to seek good
            friends. As the Buddha said, elements will go to similar elements. In
            the sutta, those who were inclined to jhaana would look for people
            who are likewise, those interested in Abhidhamma would look for
            people who are likewise (On Elements, Kindred Sayings).
            More on Ven. Dhammadharo, since this helps you with kusala cittas: we
            were traveling in the bus in India and an elderly monk accompanied
            us. (He stayed in a temple in Savatthi, and he used to accompany us
            on many trips, but then later on we heard that he had passed away).
            He kept saying loudly and repeating with much emphasis all the time:
            the inner aayatanas and the outer aayatanas (in Thai: aayatana
            painai, aayatana painog). We were looking out of the window to all
            the nice sights, but these were only visible objects. Outer aayatana:
            the objects that are the sense objects and dhamma objects. The inner
            aayatana: the senses through which these objects are experienced and
            manaayatana: all cittas. Ven. Dhammadharo remarked that he found it
            quite wonderful to be reminded of all these realities on a bus trip
            like this. Where would one have such an occasion, he found.
            So good not to waste the opportunity to understand the inner and
            outer aayatanas, they are not in the book, they are here, now!
            -------

          • rjkjp1
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 4, 2012
              I am out of thailand until next week so camt ask for you Lukas.
              But one thing she often says is "no rule".
              You probably dont feel like it right now but you have an immense reservoir of parami and wisdom of your own, as far as I can tell from ypur posts. This hard fime is like the prod that will let them blossom and grow eventually.
              Robert

              --- In dhammastudygroup@yahoogroups.com, "Lukas" <szmicio@...> wrote:

              > Dear friends,
              > Also one more question.
              >
              > If I live in bad environment in Poland, bad friends etc.. shall I run away to other more quiet place?? Or shall I accept thi is only a vipaka?
              >
              > Best wishes
              > Lukas
              >
              > --- In dhammastudygroup@yahoogroups.com, Lukas <szmicio@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Dear friends, Sukin, Nina, Sarah, Jon and all,
              > >
              > > I am in a really tought moment in my life. I have very urgent question to Acharn Sujin. There are some meetings in Bankgok with Acharn during the week, as I know. Could anyone from DSG who is in Bangkog now, would like to go and ask some of my questions?
              > >
              > > I really need a support now. I am after 10 day detox, and dont want to spend two more hears in closed facility. Bad company there and bad vipaka. Also I dont want to die. That's my second day without drugs or alcohol, and it's really hard. I know this is disease and out of control. What would Acharn tell about that?
              > >
              > > Is it good to abstain from any intoxicants? Does bad friends, environment, somkeing cigarets a vipaka?
              > >
              > > Best wishes
              > > Lukas

            • Lukas
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 4, 2012
                Dear Rober (also Sarah and Nina)

                > You probably dont feel like it right now but you have an immense reservoir of parami and wisdom of your own, as far as I can tell from ypur posts.

                L: For sure I have a big reservoir of getting into troubles :P (No matter where I am). Also I know myself very good. And one of my biggest problems are using intoxicants, liking bad company and the third problem: Falling in love. I am very sensitive for falling in love, though I know this are always a big troubles to me. And it's like with alcohol, doesnt go in good way (just another addiction in my case). I am so scared to fall in love. The last of my love ended, that i've almost died. It was maybe one year ago.

                Best wishes
                Lukas
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 4, 2012
                  Dear Lukas,
                  there you go again, thinking of the future. Right now you may not
                  drink, right now you may not be in love, at this very moment, I mean.
                  Don't forget this moment now. As Kh Sujin often says: there is fire
                  on our head, no time to lose. This may instill a sense of urgency.
                  Nina.
                  Op 4-apr-2012, om 21:14 heeft Lukas het volgende geschreven:

                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 4, 2012
                    Dear Nina,
                    What is moment of seeing? In the moment of seeing there is no falling in love isnt it? No problems at that moment. But afterwards comes 'falling in love' story. And this is very strong. very.

                    Best wishes
                    Lukas

                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 4, 2012
                      Dear lukas
                      Ha, most of us get caught up by romance . I told afriend in new zealand ,who got a bit desperate after his wife left him he was better off without her, and to come up to Thailand with me where he would find a better one. He is still in new zealand though, crying about her.
                      Still it can be an expensive proposition, some men get to thailand , fall in love woth a yong cute girl and end up broke trying to buy love.
                      No rule...
                      Robert

                      Message 10 of 11 , Apr 5, 2012
                        Dear Lukas,
                        Op 4-apr-2012, om 21:38 heeft Lukas het volgende geschreven:

                        > What is moment of seeing? In the moment of seeing there is no
                        > falling in love isnt it? No problems at that moment. But afterwards
                        > comes 'falling in love' story. And this is very strong. very.
                        -----
                        N: Seeing is just vipaaka. No problems. Falling in love, those are
                        akusala javana cittas, also conditioned. Not you, just conditioned
                        elements. Therefore, no problem. Phenomena roll on, by conditions.
                        It is a passing story. I think of the good mail pt wrote to you. It
                        will all settle down when you get older.
                        I remember Ven. Dhammadharo saying to me: unpleasant feeling is just
                        unpleasant feeling, and, he said, he knew that this was very
                        unpleasant. It feels so unpleasant. Conditioned elements.

                        Message 11 of 11 , May 7, 2012
                          Dear Lukas,

                          #123578

                          --- In dhammastudygroup@yahoogroups.com, "Lukas" <szmicio@...> wrote:

                          > >R: You probably dont feel like it right now but you have an immense reservoir of parami and wisdom of your own, as far as I can tell from ypur posts.
                          >
                          > L: For sure I have a big reservoir of getting into troubles :P (No matter where I am).
                          S: We all do! At each moment of ignorance, attachmenta and aversion - we get further into trouble! I think as some of us have been stressing, the understanding (however little) of the Dhamma is a very precious and very rare treasure to be developed. It's more precious than any other treasure and if when there is no joy, no confidence in the value of such understanding, I think it shows there is doubt at such times. The doubt can also be known as a reality.
                          >Also I know myself very good. And one of my biggest problems are using intoxicants, liking bad company and the third problem: Falling in love. I am very sensitive for falling in love, though I know this are always a big troubles to me. And it's like with alcohol, doesnt go in good way (just another addiction in my case). I am so scared to fall in love. The last of my love ended, that i've almost died. It was maybe one year ago.
                          S: Again, as we've said, these are common problems - not just in this life time, but life after life.

                          Did you ever read an article I wrote a long time ago on the topic of love and attachment to another person? I'd completely forgotten about it, but Alan (Zolag) came across it and wrote to ask if he could upload it on his website. Here's the link:

                          http://archive.org/details/Love And Attachment

                          Let me know if it's useful.

                          You mentioned (off-list) that you're in London. Have you arranged to meet Alan? Perhaps with Luraya? I think you'd find it very helpful to have that live discussion. You can bring up all these everyday dhamma topics with him as well.

                          ======