vimutti and vimutta

  • srnsk@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 2002
      Dear Nina and everyone:

      << Moreover, khandha vimutta is more correct, because vimutti is freedom. The
      adjective is vimutta.>>

      Hmm, I am just curious about this, mainly because my Pali is very limited and
      I have never heard the word vimutta before. So I hope you do not mind me
      trying to learn some Pali along on dsg ;). I do not know how to change verb
      or noun into adjective in Pali. Here is what I got from Ven. Narada Thera's
      "Elementary Pali" :

      " Vi-" is a prefix (upasagga) = -apart, separate, not, free from, special,
      around, clear, different, opposed to;

      " -ti " is affixed (kitaka) to roots to form feminine abstract noun.
      Muca + ti = mutti : release
      Vimutti : perfect release

      Vimutti (PTS Pali-Eng. Dict. online, p. 632) (f.) [fr. vimuccati] release,
      deliverance, emancipation.

      I also looked up the word "vimut, vimutti and mutti" in my tipitaka, Vism.,
      AbMS., Milindapanha and a Pali-Thai dictionary by Ven. Pradhammapitaka. They
      are in my PC. The followings are what I have found.

      From Pratipitaka:

      -Vimuttisukha: bliss by nibbana.
      -Vimuttikhandha: dhammas that lead to vimutti.
      -5 Vimuttayatana: temperament of attaining nibbana << sanggiti-sutta,
      Dhiganikaya>>.
      -Nanadhimuttikannana: the 5th/10 Buddha's powers: knowing different natures
      and temperaments of beings.
      -Anuttaravimutti: a release that nothing else is better, nibbana.
      -Adhivimutti
      -Ariyavimutti: the great vimutti.
      -Vijjavimutti: a wisdom that leads to vimutti.
      -Vimuttanuttariya
      -Sadhavimutti
      -Miccavimutti/Sammavimutti

      -Cetovimutti/Upatopagavimutti: being calm by samadhi: this pair refers to the
      arahant who attains nibbana by both jhana and magga (upato: two, paga:
      compartment).
      -Pannavimutti: this means for the arahant who attains nibbana only by nnana
      (wisdom), <<sampasadaniyasutta & mahanidesasutta of Dighanikaya,
      Majjimanikaya, pavaranasutta#7 of Samyuttanikaya, Ankuttaranikaya,
      Puggalapannatti and Kathavathu>>.

      From Vism. And AbMS:

      -Sankaravimutti: nibbana.
      -Khandhavimutti: nibbana.
      -Dvaravimutti, -Vithivimutti/-Vithimuttacitta: this refers to patisandhi and
      cuti moments.
      -Kalavimutti/kalavimutta: this refers to nibbana and pannatti. I do not know
      why at times kalavimutti is used and at times kalavimutta is used!
      -Saccavimutti: maggacittas and the accompanied cetasikas.
      -5 Pahana or 5 Vimutti:
      Tadangavimutti (sila)
      Vinakkhammavimutti(samadhi)
      Samucchetavimutti(magga)
      Patipassatdhivimutti (pala)
      Nissaranavimutti(nibbana)
      -Vimuttirasa: the flavor or the taste of nibbana <<culavagga, vinayapitaka:
      the 8 great amazing things of the ocean>>.
      -Vimuttinnana: vipassanannana that has nibbana as it object.
      -Vimuttinnanadassana: the knowledge in vipassanannana, which has nibbana as
      it object, means for arahatapala.
      -Vimuttikatha: a speech that leads to vimutti.

      This is a good review for me. Hope the Pali words do not become an unpleasant
      object to anyone ; ) :)

      Feed back and correction are appreciated.

      Best wishes,

      Num