Re: [dsg] Noble Eightfold Path and Right Concentration - Nina

  • christine_forsyth
    Message 1 of 267 , Mar 31, 2002
      Hi RobEp,

      Regarding the Discourse on the Fruits of Recluseship, if you can't
      find it on-line, it is available from Buddhist Publication Society
      (delivery takes a while).
      http://www.lanka.com/dhamma/bps/bps_main.htm (under Translations from
      Pali)
      The Discourse on the Fruits of Recluseship
      The Såmaññaphala Sutta and Its Commentaries
      Translated by Bhikkhu Bodhi
      traces the entire progress of the disciple from the first step of the
      path to its culmination in the attainment of Nibbåna. The sutta
      and
      commentaries together give extensive treatment to such subjects as
      the monk's moral precepts, contentment, mindfulness and clear
      comprehension, the abandoning of the five hindrances, jhånas,
      higher
      knowledges, etc.
      1989, 200 pp.; 5.5" x 8.5"; $10.00; BP 212S

      As well as the articles RobertK mentioned re Vipassana/Jhana, there
      is another one you may find worth looking at, where the opinions of
      five well-known modern teachers are mentioned.
      Vipassana & Jhana: What The Masters Say - by Ven. Visuddhacara
      http://www.quantrum.com.my/bwc/vtribune/vt4n2p14.html

      metta,
      Christine

      --- In dhammastudygroup@y..., Robert Epstein <epsteinrob@Y...> wrote:
      > Dear Nina,
      > Your description below is very helpful to me in getting some
      orientation towards
      > the jhanas and realization of anicca, as well as other points.
      Thanks very much.

      > Is there any convenient way to read or reprint the page that
      speaks of
      > "...the explanation
      > > on sila, guarding of the doorways, mindfulness, contentment,
      solitude, the
      > > five hindrances, the jhanas, and the highest sacrifice:
      destruction of

    • upasaka@aol.com
      Message 267 of 267 , Sep 29, 2002
        Thanks, Jon! :-)

        In a message dated 9/29/02 5:34:19 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
        jonoabb@... writes:

        > Howard
        >
        > My apologies for not seeing your request in time. Thanks for the
        > references. Here is a more complete reference to the 2 threads we had
        > going at that time:
        >
        > 14360 (H), 14382 (J)
        > 14135 (J) 14140 (H), 14295 (J), 14296 (H), 14515 (J)
        >
        > Jon

        phantom, and a dream./ (From the Diamond Sutra)