Re: [dsg] Pativedha, pariyatti & patipatti

  • Andrew Barnes
    Message 1 of 35 , Jan 2, 2012

      Message 35 of 35 , Jan 17, 2012
        Hi Andy,

        --- In dhammastudygroup@yahoogroups.com, "andyebarnes67" <andyebarnes67@...> wrote:

        > No. Had some friends that went to Island School. We (my brother and I) went to St Georges in Kowloon. Dad was with the government. St Georges was the UK services school so would be no-more.
        S: I remember it. I taught some Japanese students who went to St George's. I lived in Kowloon at that time (in the 8os and early 90s)
        > As you drive towards Stanley, already on the penninsula, on the left, just before the beach, there is/was an estate of flats overlooking a grassed courtyard. That was Lion court (might still be called that) which is where we all lived. The Govt. had 3 or four estates dotted around.
        S: I did a quick search - I think it's gone as have most old Govt buildings. We also lived for a while in a lovely Govt block on the Peak with all the original brass fittings etc - redeveloped too. Stanley is very trendy these days.
        On metta -

        > > S: Hmmm.... controversial! Can there be metta now, naturally, without an "intentional process"? When there's an intentional process, it seems like a clinging to having metta. "Beginning with ourselves"? I understand the brahma viharas refer to the care and wholesome concern for others' welfare, not for our own. We already have a lot of concern for ourselves - no need to listen to a Buddha to develop self-love!
        >
        > I refer to - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mett%C4%81
        >.....first of the four sublime states (Brahmavihāras). This is love without clinging (upādāna).
        S: Exactly - one of the four brahma viharas, "love without clinging", such as friendliness, kindness now when there is an opportunity without thought of oneself or expectation of any kind.

        > The cultivation of loving-kindness (mettā bhāvanā) is a popular form of meditation in Buddhism. In the Theravadin Buddhist tradition, this practice begins with the meditator cultivating loving-kindness towards themselves,[7] then their loved ones, friends, teachers, strangers, enemies, and finally towards all sentient beings."
        S: Lots of misunderstanding about metta, especially in regard to its development and the idea of cultivating it "towards oneself". See lots more in Useful Posts under "metta" if you have time.

        Now, if there is an attempt to have metta to ourselves, it's bound to be attachment - wanting "ME" to be happy.

        > just as we were taught at the retreat.
        >
        > further, of interest -
        > (same source)
        >
        > The Karaniya Metta Sutta (Sn 1.8) combines both the interpersonal and radiant aspects of canonical expressions of loving-kindness.
        >
        > This is what should be done
        > By one who is skilled in goodness,
        > And who knows the path of peace:
        > ... Wishing: In gladness and in safety,
        > May all beings be at ease.
        <...>
        > According to the Pāli commentaries, the Buddha originally gave this instruction (of loving-kindness meditation) to monks who were being harassed by the tree spirits of a forest in which the monks were trying to meditate. After doing this meditation in the forest it is said that the spirits were so affected by the power of loving-kindness that they allowed the monks to stay in the forest for the duration of the rainy season."
        S: Again, it needs careful study. It is not attachment to oneself (or even metta to oneself) that is being developed. Again, dhammas as anatta. The last stanza indicates that it is the insight into nama and rupa only that leads to enlightenment. Even metta is a nama which is anatta - beyond anyone's control.

        > "Ten verses in length, the Mettā Sutta extols both the virtuous qualities and the meditative development of mettā (Pali), traditionally translated as "loving kindness"[1] or "friendliness."[2] It is sometimes referred to as the Karaṇīyamettā Sutta after the opening word, Karaṇīyam, "(This is what) should be done."[3]"
        S: The development of metta, through understanding, bhavana only.

        > 'Session' refers to my sitting sessions. Where I am actively mindful of body and sensations. Mt awareness unattached to self is only at best momentary at other times. So I usually am referring to meditation when I am talking of vipassana.
        S: However, the Buddha uses vipassana in the context of insight into namas and rupas rather than 'sitting sessions" or any other activities.

        > >A:When I refer to 'mindfulness' I am referring to awareness of things as they really are.

        > mostly, for me, being mindful of anicca. difficult, as for all, to make good use of words to describe anything beyond causality and relativity.
        S: Again, mindfulness or sati has to begin with the awareness of present namas and rupas

        > > > 'Things' - everything. 'As they really are' - impermenant, empty, arising and passing away.
        > > S: What is "everything"? Please give me some examples of "everything" now which awareness is aware of "as they really are".
        >
        > perhaps 'anything' may have been a better choice of words.
        S: I was wanting you to give some examples of dhammas which can be understood "as they really are" now, such as seeing consciousness, hearing, visible object, sound, attachment, dislike and so on. If there is no direct understanding of realities appearing now, then there cannot be any understanding of the impermanence of these dhammas, can there?

        > > I appreciate your good humour and gentle speech as we all 'quiz' you!
        >
        > Pleasure (mostly :-) ) You'll notice my habit of not making instant replies. I save emails and re-read over a few days before replying. In, this, my more base impulses can be calmed. No really, no-one has given me cause for bad-humour or angry speech - yet. I thought I was quizzing you all?
        S: I'm like you.... I take my time...... And we all quiz each other! All fellow students sharing our reflections and understanding to date....

        Again, I appreciate all your discussions here.

        ======