Re: What should we say

  • philip
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 1, 2011
      Hi Sarah

      > Phil has suggested along the lines that friends in Bangkok don't repeatedly stick to their meditation practices, let alone talk at length about them, but this is a good example of an intelligent Thai friend who has listened to KS on and off since the 70s when Jon first introduced her to the group, but who continues to cling to her practice, see it of value and talks about it a lot. I can think of many others. There are all sorts of ideas of various extraordinary attainments. Wrong view doesn't let go easily at all.

      Ph: Ok, my aplogies for misrepresenting what goes on at the foundation, I was speaking based only on what I have heard in the recorded discussions that are available for listening. Of course I woyldn't know if people stick to meditation, I was just referring to how much and how forcefully they speak out about.

      Meditation - the practice that dares not speak its name! I remember early one morning at KK I was sitting cross-legged ( which is how we often sit in Japan) on the front porch enjoying the pre-dawn symphony of tree frogs or whatever they are when Sukin emerged from the gloom. "Were you meditating?" he asked, not unkindly but also not completely unlike a puritanical dad catching his son in onanistic bliss! I denied it, of course, just digging the frogs man!!!

      Metta,
      Phil
      p.s shhhhh on this don't tell sukin but i was in fact m'ing!!!!

      I will post further reports of same if I co

      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 1, 2011
        Hi Phil,

        --- In dhammastudygroup@yahoogroups.com, "philip" <philco777@...> wrote:

        > Ph: Ok, my aplogies for misrepresenting what goes on at the foundation, <...>
        S: None of it matters at all - just thinking and stories. All that matters is the understanding now of what appears!

        > Meditation - the practice that dares not speak its name! I remember early one morning at KK I was sitting cross-legged ( which is how we often sit in Japan) on the front porch enjoying the pre-dawn symphony of tree frogs or whatever they are when Sukin emerged from the gloom. "Were you meditating?" he asked, not unkindly but also not completely unlike a puritanical dad catching his son in onanistic bliss! I denied it, of course, just digging the frogs man!!!
        >
        > Metta,
        > Phil
        > p.s shhhhh on this don't tell sukin but i was in fact m'ing!!!!
        S: Ha, ha:-) "Meditation" - just a word! It can become a little precious, can't it? Perhaps Sukin will be reading himself when he's finished trying to protect his house from the floods. He was rather worried last time I heard from him briefly.

        > I will post further reports of same if I co
        S: Ok, look forward to that if you "co"!

        Appreciating your transcripts - even small sections are interesting. I like to read what people find helpful. (Nina, if you add the year and place for your transcripts of KS, that's always interesting to know too.)

      • philip
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 1, 2011
          Hi Sarah

          > > Ph: Ok, my aplogies for misrepresenting what goes on at the foundation, <...>
          > S: None of it matters at all - just thinking and stories. All that matters is the understanding now of what appears!

          Ph: Yes, take my above retraction also for the excessive analysis I wrote of Rob E's posting style this morning, really just a waste of time to think so much about other people, but we do, some of us more than others. So please don't waste your time by responding to it when you come across it, if you haven't yet. I want to fully exploit your knowledge of Dhamma, not your diplomatic skills. Exploit! Sweatshop labour!

          Metta,

          Phil
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 1, 2011
            Dear Sarah,
            For this I depend on Phil. I just take what I have from my small
            recorder, things I taped for myself, mostly without adding dates,
            etc. I take these along to hotels where I have some time transcribing.
            Nina.
            Op 1-nov-2011, om 9:09 heeft sarah het volgende geschreven:

            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 2, 2011
              Dear Nina,

              --- In dhammastudygroup@yahoogroups.com, Nina van Gorkom <vangorko@...> wrote:

              > Dear Sarah,
              > For this I depend on Phil. I just take what I have from my small
              > recorder, things I taped for myself, mostly without adding dates,
              > etc. I take these along to hotels where I have some time transcribing.
              S: Understood, no problem. I appreciate your sharing them.

              p.s you asked about Jon's skin rash problems sometime - not completely recovered, he still has to avoid heat, but much better than before.
              ======
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 2, 2011
                Dear Sarah,
                Op 2-nov-2011, om 9:02 heeft sarah het volgende geschreven:

                > p.s you asked about Jon's skin rash problems sometime - not
                > completely recovered, he still has to avoid heat, but much better
                > than before.
                ------
                N: I am glad to hear this and so will Lodewijk. He kept on asking
                after Jon's health.
                I forgot to mention that my tapes are a mix of Thai and English. No
                time to separate them.

                -------