Further Discussions India. 1.

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 14, 2011
      Dear friends,

      Further Discussions India. 1.

      Kh S: If one thinks that one needs volition to fix on an object, it
      is not the way to understand it and to become detached. The
      development of understanding has to be very natural and then pa~n~naa
      will see that there is no need to do anything, no need to try to
      concentrate on any object. The characteristics of realities have to
      be understood. We talk about seeing and hardness all the time and
      these appear all day long without any awareness of their
      characteristics. Just understand characteristics of realities and you
      know that at that moment there is awareness, very natural and very
      slight, and that is sammaa-sati because that moment is anattaa. But
      lobha will come in again and again and then pa~n~naa can see it.
      Otherwise there will be clinging to �rites and rituals� (wrong
      practice) all the way.

      When we talk about wrong view or personality belief (sakkaya
      di.t.thi) we know the terms, but that is not the understanding of its
      characteristic. While we talk about it and wrong view does not arise
      how could we know the moment when di.t.thi which is naama is there?
      When we are talking about any citta, citta arises and falls away all
      the time, no matter it is with di.t.thi or without di.t.thi. Pa~n~naa
      of the level of satipa.t.thaana will begin to see the characteristics
      of all realities we formerly talked about. If there is no di.t.thi
      arising it is of no use to think about it. Now there is seeing and it
      is of no use to think about di.t.thi, at that moment it does not
      appear. There can be a beginning to understand that seeing is a
      reality, not a being, no one. There is just this characteristic that
      is now appearing and then other characteristics appear, like sound.
      But since pa~n~naa and sati have not been developed enough there must
      be long periods of citta without sati until there are conditions for
      the arising of sati. Then sati can be aware of an object, not
      intentionally, but because of conditions. There will be less
      misunderstanding of reality as being �some thing�.

      *******