Identity crisis: Are Buddhists atheists?

  • Rajesh Patil
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 3 10:53 AM
      Dear All,
                   Some of our brothers and sisters are claiming (specially on Facebook) that they are atheist. If it is true that means every atheist should be Buddhists e.g. many Marxist mention  their identity as atheist, but they are not Buddhist.

                    It means that there is and should be some difference between Buddhists and atheists.

      What is that difference? I would like know from U and/or from any forum.

      Make India Buddhist
             Rajesh

    • Rodney
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 3 9:09 PM
        Atheists seem so obsessed with there being no god that they give the idea of one more popularity. I think it does not really matter to Buddhists. We are more concerned with inward spirituality than outward existence of such.

        Caine Das
      • Robert E
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 3 11:14 PM
          Hi Rajesh.

          --- In dhammastudygroup@yahoogroups.com, Rajesh Patil <rajpat_00@...> wrote:

          > Dear All,
          >              Some of our brothers and sisters are claiming (specially on Facebook) that they are atheist. If it is true that means every atheist should be Buddhists e.g. many Marxist mention  their identity as atheist, but they are not Buddhist.
          >
          >               It means that there is and should be some difference between Buddhists and atheists.
          >
          > What is that difference? I would like know from U and/or from any forum.

          Even if every Buddhist is an atheist, it does not follow that every atheist will be a Buddhist. Just like every bird is an animal, but not every animal is a bird.

          Buddha as I understand it refused to answer whether or not there was a God. I think it is clear that he acknowledged the existence of gods, however, as supernatural beings who were subject to samsara.

          In that sense he may have not believed in one God who was the source and ruler of all reality, but he did acknowledge the existence of supernatural beings, forces and laws, which are not included in atheist beliefs.

          Best,
          Robert E.

          = = = = = = = = =
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 5 3:54 AM
            Hi Rodney/Caine & Rajesh

            --- In dhammastudygroup@yahoogroups.com, Rodney <cainedas@...> wrote:

            > Atheists seem so obsessed with there being no god that they give the idea of one more popularity. I think it does not really matter to Buddhists. We are more concerned with inward spirituality than outward existence of such.
            >
            > Caine Das
            S: Firstly, welcome to DSG, Rodney/Caine. (Sorry, I'm a little confused about your name - perhaps you could clarify.) Where do you live?

            I think you make good comments. The various labels, such as 'atheist' or even 'Buddhist' aren't of much importance.

            What is important is whether there is any understanding now of the mental and physical phenomena or whether there is the wrong view of a Self existing now that experiences and is experienced.

            Look forward to hearing more from you both.

            =======
          • Caine Das
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 5 5:01 AM
              I apologize for the confusion Sarah. I have changed my email to reflect my ordination name. I am a Buddhist Monk. Rodney is my birth name.

              I live in Knoxville, TN currently. Thank you for the welcome to the group, the discussions are enriching.

              Caine Das
            • Rajesh Patil
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 8 5:00 AM
                Thanks everybody for showing difference between Atheists and Buddhists.

                Make India Buddhist
                       Rajesh

                --- On Fri, 5/8/11, sarah <sarahprocterabbott@...> wrote:

                Hi Rodney/Caine & Rajesh

                --- In dhammastudygroup@yahoogroups.com, Rodney <cainedas@...> wrote:

                > Atheists seem so obsessed with there being no god that they give the idea of one more popularity. I think it does not really matter to Buddhists. We are more concerned with inward spirituality than outward existence of such.

                > Caine Das

                S:<....>
                I think you make good comments. The various labels, such as 'atheist' or even 'Buddhist' aren't of much importance.

                What is important is whether there is any understanding now of the mental and physical phenomena or whether there is the wrong view of a Self existing now that experiences and is experienced.
                <...>
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 12 1:16 AM
                  Dear Ven Caine Das,

                  --- In dhammastudygroup@yahoogroups.com, Caine Das <cainedas@...> wrote:

                  > I apologize for the confusion Sarah. I have changed my email to reflect my ordination name. I am a Buddhist Monk. Rodney is my birth name.
                  >
                  > I live in Knoxville, TN currently. Thank you for the welcome to the group, the discussions are enriching.
                  >
                  > Caine Das

                  S: It's good you're finding the discussions "enriching". Pls join in any threads anytime. Is there a monastery in Knoxville? May I ask whether you were ordained in the States?

                  ======
                • Caine Das
                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 12 5:00 AM
                    Blessings Sarah,

                    Unfortunately, there is no Monastery in TN in my area. Yes, I was ordained in New York. My teacher was trained in Nepal and Sri Lanka. Thank you for the invite to the discussions. They remind me of being trained.

                    Caine Das
                  • Maipenrai Dhammasaro
                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 24, 2011
                      Good friends all,

                      There are a few Buddhist temples in Tennessee, USA. However, there may not be one of ones' Tradition/school/sect/new Buddhist religion.

                      On a Yahoo search in Knoxville: http://search.yahoo.com/search?fr=mcafee&p=buddhism+in+knoxville%2C+tennessee

                      On a Google search in Knoxville: http://www.google.com/search?q=buddhism+in+knoxville%2C+tennessee&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

                      Both searches reveal there are Buddhists in Knoxville, Tennessee USA.

                      peace...

                      yours in the Dhamma-vinaya,

                      Chuck

                      <....>