tanha paccaya upadana

  • Lukas
    Message 1 of 2 , May 1, 2011
      Hi friends,
      What are the differences in characteristic between tanha and upadana?

      Best wishes
      Lukas
      Message 2 of 2 , May 2, 2011
        Dear Lukas,
        I am glad you are so active and interested now, asking questions.
        Op 2-mei-2011, om 8:49 heeft Lukas het volgende geschreven:

        > What are the differences in characteristic between tanha and upadana?

        --------
        N: I quote from my Visuddhimagga studies, Ch XVII, 249:
        < [How Craving is a Condition for Clinging]
        Intro: In this section it is explained in which ways craving
        conditions clinging. Clinging, upaadaana, is firm grasping, it is
        craving, ta.nhaa, that has become strong.
        As we have seen, there is craving for sense-desires (kaama ta.nhaa),
        craving for becoming (bhava ta.nhaa) and craving for non-becoming
        (vibhava ta.nhaa).
        The four kinds of clinging are: sense-desire clinging, [false-] view
        clinging, rite-and-ritual clinging and self-doctrine clinging. The
        latter three kinds are forms of clinging with wrong view.
        The types of conditions that are operating in the case of craving
        that conditions clinging are mentioned in this section.
        -----

        Text Vis. 248: As regards the four kinds of clinging taught in this
        way, craving
        for sense desires is a condition in one way, as decisive-support, for
        the first kind, namely, sense-desire clinging, because it arises in
        relation to the objective field in which craving delights.
        ---------
        N: Craving delights in all the objects that can be experienced
        through the six doorways. When there is craving again and again it
        becomes firm grasping, it conditions clinging by way of decisive
        support.
        ---------
        Text Vis. : But it is a condition in seven ways, as conascence,
        mutuality, support, association, presence, non-disappearance, and
        root-cause, or in eight ways, as [those and] decisive-support as
        well, for the remaining three kinds.
        ---------
        N: The remaining three kinds of clinging pertain to wrong view,
        di.t.thi. Craving, which is lobha cetasika, conditions wrong view,
        di.t.thi, in this context three kinds of clinging, upaadaana. Lobha
        and di.t.thi, when they arise together with the lobha-muulacitta,
        condition one another by way of conascence-condition. The seven
        conditions mentioned in the text pertain to conascent conditions.
        Lobha is an akusala root, hetu, and thus it conditions wrong view
        also by way of root-condition.
        --------

        Text Vis. : And when it is a condition as decisive-support, then it
        is never conascent.
        This is the detailed explanation of the clause 'With craving as
        condition, clinging'.
        ---------