Re: [dsg] To Phil about siila

  • han tun
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 2, 2011
      Dear Ken O (Phil),

      Ken O wrote: Dear Han and Phil
      I like this explanation of mundane and supramundane right view

      This right view is twofold: mundane (lokiya) and supramundane (lokuttara). Herein, the knowledge of kamma as one's own and knowledge which is in conformity with the (Four Noble) Truths are mundane right view; or, in brief, (mundane right view is) all understanding that is accompanied by the taints.[2] Understanding connected with the noble paths and fruits is supramundane right view. [3] The person possessing right view is of three kinds: the worldling (puthujjana), the disciple in higher training (sekha), and the one beyond training (asekha). Herein, the worldling is of two kinds: one outside the Dispensation and one within the Dispensation. Herein, one outside the Dispensation who believes in kamma is one of right view on account of the view of kamma as one's own, but not on account of that which is in conformity with the truths, because he holds to the view of self. One within the Dispensation is of right view on account of both. The disciple in
      higher training is one of right view on account of fixed right view, [4] the one beyond training on account of (the right view) that is beyond training. [5] According to the commentary, there is also mundane of the three refuges and supramundane ones, again the explanation is the same as above, one is mundane is with taints, the supradmundane is for noble ones

      --------------------

      [Han]: Thank you very much for the above quote. I really appreciate it.

      In my message to Phil, I had quoted only a few lines on mundane right view and superior right view, taken from Ven Bhikkhu Bodhi's book. By quoting only a few lines, I did not do justice at all to Ven Bhikkhu Bodhi's work. One should read the entire chapter on Right View of his book, The Noble Eightfold Path. This chapter is the best explanation on Right View that I have ever read.
      http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/bodhi/waytoend.html#ch2

      with metta and respect,
      Han
    • Ken O
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 2, 2011
        Dear Han

        B Bodhi edited the commentaries of right view sutta translated by Ven Namoli.
        It can be view online.

        Hope you enjoy reading it.

        http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/nanamoli/wheel377.html

        Ken O

      • han tun
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 2, 2011
          Dear Ken O,

          Thank you very much for The Discourse on Right View: The Sammaditthi Sutta and its Commentary,
          translated from the Pali by Bhikkhu Ñanamoli, and edited and revised by Bhikkhu Bodhi
          http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/nanamoli/wheel377.html

          I did not know the existence of this document.
          I cannot say how much I thank you.

          This is the most precious Dhamma Gift for me.

          with metta and deepest respect,
          Han