Re: [dsg] paññā vs ñāṇa is there a dif ference?

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2011
      Dear Alex,

      I understand pa~n~naa and ~naa.na to be synonyms, used in different contexts. For example, for stages of insight, ~naa.na is used. It is pa~n~naa, however.

      It was difficult to read your message because the fonts for the diacriticals came out as squiggles.

      ======

      --- On Wed, 2/3/11, A T <truth_aerator@...> wrote:

      >Does anyone know if there is a difference between paññā and ñāṇa? If so, what exactly is the difference? Or are they synonyms?

      For example In Ptsm there is chapter called:
      "Sotāvadhāne paññā sutamaye ñāṇaṃ."
      "Understanding of applying the ear is knowledge of what consists in the heard (learnt)" - Bhikkhu Nanamoli translation.

      Pali program that I have, has this translation:
      paññā=f. wisdom; knowledge; insight.
      ñāṇa= nt. wisdom; insight.