Re: [dsg] Inner Peace

    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 1, 2011
      Dear Rob M,
      Op 28-feb-2011, om 12:35 heeft robmoult het volgende geschreven:

      > "Suffering is happening because I am chasing after something that
      > is impossible to catch."
      ------
      N: Thank you for sharing these letters. It is good for those who know
      nothing about Buddhism. And the widow's feelings make me think very
      much of my sister in law who lost her husband, my brother, a year
      ago. Just at that time we went to Thailand and I was glad to be
      reminded by Kh Sujin of the present moment, but this is hard to
      understand for my sister in law. Also my sister lost her partner a
      few weeks ago.
      I asked Lodewijk's advice about sending on your letters to my sister
      in law, and we do not know when it is the right time. My own sister
      is most critical about any religion, I think that she would not
      appreciate it. We shall see. Anyway, thank you very much.
      As to my intro to the Abh, I have to go over it very slowly first and
      will send it later on to you.

    • philip
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 1, 2011
        Hi Rob M and Nina

        Wow, what a wonderful kusala treat to read an Abhidhamma teacher/writer telling another Abhidhamma teacher/writer whose book he is using about his dana of 40 copies. What is the salutation that one is supposed to use in this case? Sadhu Sadhu Sadhu? In any case, great! :)

        Metta,

        Phil

        p.s Rob, sorry I'll be in Thailand when you're in Tokyo, can you leave a nimitta behind once your actual rupa nama formations have fallen away so we can discuss when I get back to Japan? Haha, please let me know next time you're coming.

        --- In dhammastudygroup@yahoogroups.com, Nina van Gorkom <vangorko@...> wrote:

        > Dear Rob M,
        > Op 27-feb-2011, om 21:11 heeft robmoult het volgende geschreven:
        >
        > > his Sunday, I will be handing out 40 copies of your "Abhidhamma in
        > > Daily Life" in my Abdhidhamma class.
        > ------
        > N: Wonderful you still do this Abh class. I wrote an intro to the Abh
        > which is shorter and I think more simple for beginners.
      • Ken H
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 1, 2011
          Hi Rob M,

          Thanks for your reply. I was going to give you the last word but there was something I just couldn't let you get away with:

          --------------
          <. . .>
          > RM: You are correct that I did not mention anatta in my letter to my friends... in my own defence, there were quite a few suttas where the Buddha did not mention anatta either :-)
          --------------

          KH: Even if anatta is not always expressly mentioned in every sutta, it is central to the meaning of every sutta. As Nyanatiloka says, "[Anatta] is the only really specific Buddhist doctrine, with which the entire structure of the Buddhist teaching stands or falls." (Buddhist Dictionary)

          Therefore, if you are reading a sutta in a way that does not depend entirely on right understanding of anatta then you are seriously misreading it.

          Nyanatiloka goes on to say, "All the remaining Buddhist doctrines may, more or less, be found in other philosophic systems and religions. . ." (end quote) I agree with that, but not in a way that would admit to any similarity between the Dhamma and other teachings. Those "remaining Buddhist doctrines" that Nyanatiloka refers to would be similar to other teachings *if* they were studied in isolation. However, when they are studied in conjunction with anatta they, too, become uniquely Buddhist.

          So, please, let's not hear any more talk of suttas in which the Buddha supposedly did not mention anatta! :-)

          Ken H
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 1, 2011
            Dear Nina & Rob M,

            --- On Tue, 1/3/11, Nina van Gorkom <vangorko@...> wrote:
            >N: Thank you for sharing these letters. It is good for those who know
            nothing about Buddhism.
            S: Yes, I appreciate them too - especially Rob's kindness. Of course, we could quibble about some parts, such as the 'metta to oneself', but I appreciate the gist.
            >N:And the widow's feelings make me think very
            much of my sister in law who lost her husband, my brother, a year
            ago. Just at that time we went to Thailand and I was glad to be
            reminded by Kh Sujin of the present moment, but this is hard to
            understand for my sister in law. Also my sister lost her partner a
            few weeks ago.
            I asked Lodewijk's advice about sending on your letters to my sister
            in law, and we do not know when it is the right time. My own sister
            is most critical about any religion, I think that she would not
            appreciate it. We shall see. Anyway, thank you very much.
            S: I just gave the letters to my mother to read and also your note here, wondering whether they'd be appropriate for your sister and sister-in-law.

            I asked my mother her opinion on this. She thought "better not" - she thinks we all think too deeply instead of just accepting the natural way of things. I think her point was that people without an interest in the Dhamma prefer to grieve in their own way and will ask (like the widow who asked Rob M) if they wish to hear our comments or read our writings. She thought it might cause extra confusion and agitation for them, especially when they don't understand the content. I personally think we sense if people would like to hear us speak/write a little and you know your sister and sister in law best.

            Rob E could show the letters to his father and ask him his opinion on this too.

            =======
          • robmoult
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 2, 2011
              Hi Sarah and All,

              --- In dhammastudygroup@yahoogroups.com, sarah abbott <sarahprocterabbott@...> wrote:
              > I asked my mother her opinion on this. She thought "better not" - she thinks we all think too deeply instead of just accepting the natural way of things. I think her point was that people without an interest in the Dhamma prefer to grieve in their own way and will ask (like the widow who asked Rob M) if they wish to hear our comments or read our writings. She thought it might cause extra confusion and agitation for them, especially when they don't understand the content. I personally think we sense if people would like to hear us speak/write a little and you know your sister and sister in law best.

              Your mother is wise. I wrote "Inner Peace" and offered it unsolicited to my three friends as I hoped that it would help them. Two of the three people rejected it saying, "not interested".

              Metta,
              Rob M :-)