joining the group

  • heffernan_dawn
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 3, 2011
      Hi, I'm new to this though it also seems very familiar. Just wanted to check in and log on.. it is funny how we have to learn to breath..and how our breath is so vital and so ignored. Food on the other hand which appears to be central to our lives..actually isn't.
      Enjoy the walk, nice to know I am not alone.
      Dawn
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 3, 2011
        Hi Dawn,

        You made it!

        --- On Mon, 3/1/11, heffernan_dawn <heffernan_dawn@...> wrote:
        >Hi, I'm new to this though it also seems very familiar. Just wanted to check in and log on.. it is funny how we have to learn to breath..and how our breath is so vital and so ignored. Food on the other hand which appears to be central to our lives..actually isn't.
        Enjoy the walk, nice to know I am not alone.
        S: It was lovely to meet you (though, briefly) in the hotel swimming pool in Bangkok! We never know where we may have interesting encounters and chats! Obviously, you managed to get home eventually:-) (For others, we only met because Dawn and her husband were unable to get a flight back to London during the heavy snow before Xmas.)

        In a way we're not alone - lots of good company on the path and yet, in another sense, we are all alone. We're alone now with the breath, with the experiences through the senses, one at a time. And yes, if there were no more breath now, there'd be no more life, so we need to make the most of the present opportunity to become wiser, to understand more about the various mental and physical phenomena that make up our lives.

        You were reading "Mindfulness in Plain English", as I recall. Does it mention that the core of the Buddhist teachings is that while we are obsessed with our own experiences and selves, in truth there is no Self to be found? I'd be interested to hear any of your reflections on the book.

        Anyway, thanks for your introductory message!

        Metta (means loving -kindness, wishing you well)

        Sarah
        =========
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 3, 2011
          Dear Dawn,
          welcome to our group.
          Op 3-jan-2011, om 9:18 heeft heffernan_dawn het volgende geschreven:
          it is funny how we have to learn to breath..and how our breath is so
          vital and so ignored.
          > Food on the other hand which appears to be central to our
          > lives..actually isn't.
          -----
          N: You are right, breath is a physical phenomenon, ruupa, conditioned
          by consciousness, citta. Our life depends on breath and we cling to it.
          Also food is an important condition for life to go on. It produces
          and fortifies ruupas of the body. Without food you would not be able
          to write this post.
          When we understand more the different conditioning factors for the
          mental phenomena and physical phenomena we take for self our wrong
          view will gradually decline.

          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 3, 2011
            Hi Dawn
            Welcome. Glad you made it. Enjoyed meeting you in Bangkok. Looking forward to having you in the discussions here.
            Jon