Brahmajala Sutta

  • revtriple
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 2, 2010
      Hi Fellow Dhamma lovers!

      Brahmajala Sutta

      If, without understanding, I were to declare something to be wholesome or unwholesome, desire and lust or hatred and aversion might arise in me. ...

      This is in the accesstoinsight.org search for this Sutta. However when I go to this Sutta I don't find it anywhere!?

      Can some one please tell me where this is in the Sutta?

      Thank You!
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 3, 2010
        Dear revtriple,
        Op 3-dec-2010, om 7:43 heeft revtriple het volgende geschreven:

        > If, without understanding, I were to declare something to be
        > wholesome or unwholesome, desire and lust or hatred and aversion
        > might arise in me. ...
        >
        > This is in the accesstoinsight.org search for this Sutta. However
        > when I go to this Sutta I don't find it anywhere!?
        ------
        N: I have Ven. Bodhis' translation. It is under 4. Doctrines of
        endless Equivocation (amaraavikkhepavaada), views 13-16. We read
        further on: <Out of fear andloathing of making a false statement, he
        does not declare anything to be wholesome or unwholesome..he resorts
        to evasive statements.>
        The commentary elaborates, stating that he does not understand what
        is kusala nor akusala.

      • sīlānanda
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 4, 2010
          Hi

          DN 1: Brahmajāla Sutta — The All-embracing Net of
          Views<http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/dn/dn.01.0.bodh.html>
          {D i 1 <http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sltp/DN_I_utf8.html#pts.001>
          } [Bodhi <http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/dn/dn.01.0.bodh.html>].
          In this important sutta, the first in the Tipitaka, the Buddha describes
          sixty-two philosophical and speculative views concerning the self and the
          world that were prevalent among spiritual seekers of his day. In rejecting
          these teachings — many of which thrive to this day — he decisively
          establishes the parameters of his own.

          mahakaruna,
          silananda
          www.what-Buddha-taught.net <http://www.what-buddha-taught.net/>

          On Fri, Dec 3, 2010 at 2:43 PM, revtriple <revtriple@...> wrote:

          > Hi Fellow Dhamma lovers!
          >
          > Brahmajala Sutta
          >
          > If, without understanding, I were to declare something to be wholesome or
          > unwholesome, desire and lust or hatred and aversion might arise in me. ...
          >
          > This is in the accesstoinsight.org search for this Sutta. However when I
          > go to this Sutta I don't find it anywhere!?
          >
          > Can some one please tell me where this is in the Sutta?
          >
          > Thank You!

        • sīlānanda
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 4, 2010
            Hi

            For comparison:

            I. BRAHMA-JâLA SUTTA
            [9<http://www.what-buddha-taught.net/tipitaka/2Sutta-Pitaka/1Digha-Nikaya/Digha1/01-brahmajala-e.html#n9>]

            *The Perfect Net** *

            *English*<http://www.what-buddha-taught.net/tipitaka/2Sutta-Pitaka/1Digha-Nikaya/Digha1/01-brahmajala-e.html#q-001>
            * | **Pali*<http://www.what-buddha-taught.net/tipitaka/2Sutta-Pitaka/1Digha-Nikaya/Digha1/01-brahmajala-p.html>

            original source: <http://www.metta.lk/> metta.lk

            On Sat, Dec 4, 2010 at 9:52 PM, sīlānanda <silananda@...> wrote:

            > Hi
            >
            > DN 1: Brahmajāla Sutta — The All-embracing Net of Views<http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/dn/dn.01.0.bodh.html>
            > {D i 1<http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sltp/DN_I_utf8.html#pts.001>
            > } [Bodhi <http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/dn/dn.01.0.bodh.html>].
            > In this important sutta, the first in the Tipitaka, the Buddha describes
            > sixty-two philosophical and speculative views concerning the self and the
            > world that were prevalent among spiritual seekers of his day. In rejecting
            > these teachings — many of which thrive to this day — he decisively
            > establishes the parameters of his own.
            >
            > mahakaruna,
            > silananda
            > www.what-Buddha-taught.net <http://www.what-buddha-taught.net/>