Three Aspects of Mother, Maiden, and Crone.

  • Kevin F
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 22, 2010
      I enjoy researching various religions. This has been a hobby of mine of for a
      very long time. One of the religions I have been reading a lot about lately is
      Pre-Christian Paganism.

      I found some very interesting things out.

      First starters, all the same elements are found in Paganism as are found in
      Buddhism (and Hinduism) and play a prominent role in it. They are understood
      almost exactly the same way as they are in Buddhist thought. The earth element
      represents what is solid and stable and so on, the water all that is flowing,
      the fire element all that is hot or ripening, and the wind element movement and
      thought. The last element void or space is understood differently in Paganism
      and these days at least, in neo sects, it is called "spirit" and is supposed to
      encapsulate everything and represent the Goddess and the God together. Other
      than that, the representation of the elements is pretty much the same the same.
      The elements were a major part of life for Pagans. The elements were understood
      to be both outside of the body and what the body is made up of and comprised
      of. I can't stress how big a part of life they were for Pagans.

      Another interesting fact: pagans believed in rebirth, or rather reincarnation,
      but they did believe in an ongoing, continuous cycle of life. Unlike Brahmanism
      and later Hindu beliefs, they did not try to attain union with Brahma or "God"
      to attain release. They only sought to live in harmony with nature again and
      again.

      Now the third very interesting thing is that they had a trinity of their own--
      the Triple Goddess. The moon was representative of the Goddess and her power.
      The Goddess had three forms: Maiden, Mother, and Crone. The Maiden aspect
      represented youth and spring when new harvests were being born. The Mother
      aspect represented adulthood, the full moon, nurturing, and the full harvest
      time, a time of abundance and fertility, a time of life. The Crone aspect
      represented old age and death, the winter season when plant life died and things
      went cold, and the waning crescent moon.

      These three faces of the Goddess were worshiped.

      So we see that ancient people were in tune with the elements and realized that
      everything consists of these basic elements, although of course they held some
      wrong views about them. We also see that not only did they believe in
      continuous becoming, but that they also understood very clearly the aspects of
      birth, full fruition, and death and knew that all things went by these
      particular cycles.

      It is amazing to see how clear they were about so many things. However, because
      of lack of a good teacher, they did not come to understand the release beyond
      the elements, and could not come to see that their cycles of birth, fruition,
      and decay were happening again and again at unsatisfactory minute levels within
      body and mind.

      In one sense, I feel that this is the closest set of religious beliefs to
      Buddhism that I have come across, although it lacked panna to the degree that
      truly sees things clearly. They certainly did not believe in union with God or
      Brahma as release from ongoing rebirth, nor did they believe in an eternal
      afterlife or any other salvation.

      All the best,

      Kevin

      ___________
      With metta
      Kevin

      The business of an intellectual is to think.

      Most people think religion is staring at the perfection of a rose bud. They
      don't understand the decay of the rose bud nor of the mind that admires it and
      then quickly decays. - me

      Kevin's discussion forum = http://www.dhammasnippets.webs.com/

      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 3, 2010
        Hi Kevin,

        --- On Tue, 23/11/10, Kevin F <farrellkevin80@...> wrote:

        >I enjoy researching various religions. This has been a hobby of mine of for a
        very long time. One of the religions I have been reading a lot about lately is
        Pre-Christian Paganism.

        >It is amazing to see how clear they were about so many things. However, because
        of lack of a good teacher, they did not come to understand the release beyond
        the elements, and could not come to see that their cycles of birth, fruition,
        and decay were happening again and again at unsatisfactory minute levels within
        body and mind.
        <...>
        >In one sense, I feel that this is the closest set of religious beliefs to
        Buddhism that I have come across, although it lacked panna to the degree that truly sees things clearly.
        S: Interesting study. "Closest" is a far cry from the Buddha's Teachings, however. It reminds me of the Dighanakha Sutta, MN74. Close or similar are not Teachings that will bring us any closer to the development of panna which will eradicate defilements.

        ======