One step at a time, one citta at a time....

    Message 1 of 11 , May 12 5:51 AM
      Dear Friends,

      I'm so thankful for having heard the Dhamma....

      We're likely to be relocating/retiring to Sydney sooner or later and are very, very busy with a flat purchase there on the beach, a flat sale here and lots of time working on finances, bank mortgages and so on. This week we've been having agents and photographers come through which has meant a major clear out/clean up and a lot of phone calls and visitors, flower purchases and almost everything put away in cupboards....looks great, but I can no longer find basics or use the kitchen. Posts and books have all been banished from my desk too for now...

      Just daily life. Just seeing, hearing, smelling, tasting and touching with long, long stories in between..... We think our circumstances are special, but everyone has circumstances, everyone has long stories. Really they're just dreams, all to be left behind at the end of this life....

      Anyway, this is meant as a bit of an explanation as to why I've not been able to write much recently. I appreciate reading all the threads and good reminders in the meantime... And of course, apologies for the many posts I've not yet replied to in the last 2 or 3 mths. Your comments have all been most welcome as usual.

      One step at a time, one citta at a time.....

      Message 2 of 11 , May 12 7:23 AM
        Dear Sarah,
        I symphatize, a lot of trouble. And we all have our stories, I like
        your reminders.
        Lodewijk gained just one kilo, and this is my story. Hours in the
        kitchen to make very, very appetizing food. What a dream.
        Nina.
        Op 12-mei-2010, om 14:51 heeft sarah abbott het volgende geschreven:

        > Just daily life. Just seeing, hearing, smelling, tasting and
        > touching with long, long stories in between..... We think our
        > circumstances are special, but everyone has circumstances, everyone
        > has long stories. Really they're just dreams, all to be left behind
        > at the end of this life....

      • philip
        Message 3 of 11 , May 13 4:49 PM
          Hi Sarah and all

          I agree, very grateful to the Buddha these days, as always. There are things that are not working out well for me at all in the ways of the world, but the Dhamma is always there and it is the greatest wealth. I would say step by step or breath by breath more than one citta at a time, because one citta cannot be an object of awareness for me, but on and on development of understanding goes, gradually. A. Sujin's "just understand!" that she often uses to answer people who ask about mundane struggles sometimes seems like a pleasant panacea to me rather than a proper teaching, but there is truth in there too...

          Metta,

          Phil

          p.s I came here today to recommend a wonderful sutta that I had not come across before. It is amazingly comprehensive. I especially wanted to recommend it to Lukas, as we have talked about our desire to improve conventional behaviour. It is MN 114.

          Message 4 of 11 , May 15 3:51 AM
            Hi Phil & all,

            Yes, however one wishes to put it, it's pointing to the present moment....that's all there ever is. Here, there's a Cantonese expression which says "See step, walk step". It's always helpful to be reminded about now, what's appearing now and to develop understanding. "Just understand!" is to me a reminder that all the thinking about terms, concepts and ideas is just that - thinking. "A pleasant panacea", actually the only way out...

            As for "the ways of the world", we put our flat on the market on Monday, arranging for open house viewings today (Sat). By Thursday it was sold and by Friday signed and sealed! Even by Hong Kong standards that's fast. Now we'll be moving to the beach in Manly, Sydney sometime in June! A week ago, we had no plan for this at all at this time:) Gain, loss, good fortune, bad fortune, moment to moment..... pleasant, unpleasant visible object....we never know what kamma has been accumulated!

            A lot of work to do and my eyes are so sore, I can hardly look at the screen.... I think just tired from trying to make our place look like an "Ideal Home" cover for a few days..... gradually pulling out all the messes again, now! At least Jon can eat the display grapes and we can cook again:-)

            Having said that, Jon's just come in with some noodles, so (with a little good past kamma), off for some pleasant tastes...

            Lobha all the way is what it comes down to....

            Sarah

            Message 5 of 11 , May 15 7:58 AM
              Dear Sarah,
              Op 15-mei-2010, om 12:51 heeft sarah het volgende geschreven:

              > Now we'll be moving to the beach in Manly, Sydney sometime in June!
              > A week ago, we had no plan for this at all at this time:) Gain,
              > loss, good fortune, bad fortune, moment to moment..... pleasant,
              > unpleasant visible object....we never know what kamma has been
              > accumulated!
              -------
              N: What a surprise. We never know what kamma has in store for us. I
              wish you a lot of strength and good luck with your moving. Courageous
              to undertake such a change.

            • glenjohnann
              Message 6 of 11 , May 17 8:41 PM
                Hi Sarah

                yes, what a surprise! I hope it is a good and happy move - that is once all of the work is done. Good luck with it all.

                Ann

                Message 7 of 11 , May 21 12:00 AM
                  Dear Nina, Ann & all,

                  Many thx for all your good wishes!

                  --- In dhammastudygroup@yahoogroups.com, Nina van Gorkom <vangorko@...> wrote:
                  > N: What a surprise. We never know what kamma has in store for us. I
                  > wish you a lot of strength and good luck with your moving. Courageous
                  > to undertake such a change.
                  S: I'm still in a bit of shock at the sudden change of plans and it is a big move for us after all these years, but everything's going smoothly. I've had shipper estimates and they'll be packing us up in a week or so. Actually, we'll pretty well be leaving with what we arrived with in 26 years ago - boxes and boxes and boxes of Dhamma books, clothes and odds and ends. We'll be selling and giving away the furniture and starting again... Begin again, begin again....another step, another moment of seeing, another moment of hearing. That's all there ever is.

                  As for the courage to undertake such a change... well, as we know, the only courage that counts is the courage to be aware and understand the presently appearing reality. This is how detachment grows, how the idea of any atta that can exert any power or influence over conditioned dhammas is eradicated.

                  We're very, very busy, but are very fortunate to be moving, beginning again with all the good Dhamma reminders that everyone shares here and elsewhere. We're also trying to finish and get up-loaded the next set of edited recordings before we leave.

                  All, I mentioned an eye problem which made it almost impossible for me to type/look at the computer for a while - according to the doctor, it was dust in the eye - but all's well now, so hope to catch up in between the clear-outs and other chores!

                  ======
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 21 1:02 AM
                    Dear Sarah,
                    Op 21-mei-2010, om 9:00 heeft sarah het volgende geschreven:

                    > We're very, very busy, but are very fortunate to be moving,
                    > beginning again with all the good Dhamma reminders that everyone
                    > shares here and elsewhere. We're also trying to finish and get up-
                    > loaded the next set of edited recordings before we leave.
                    ------
                    N: That sounds good, I appreciate this. Lodewijk wants to know
                    whether Jon will have more legal work in Australia.
                    It must be difficult to leave your doctor, since he was of great help.
                    Best wishes with all the packing,

                    Message 9 of 11 , May 21 3:02 AM
                      Dear Nina,

                      --- On Fri, 21/5/10, Nina van Gorkom <vangorko@...> wrote:

                      >N: That sounds good, I appreciate this. Lodewijk wants to know
                      whether Jon will have more legal work in Australia.
                      S: Not in Austalia, but if he has any in Hong Kong, it'll be a good excuse for us to return. Actually, we're expecting to spend quite a lot of the year in HK and Bkk too...
                      >It must be difficult to leave your doctor, since he was of great help.
                      S: When I mention it to my acupuncturist, my yoga teacher and many friends (especially the surfers), they all say they'd like to come with us!! Everyone knows about Manly beach here.... even more popular than Hong Kong!

                      Oh what stories we weave.... what madness we worldlings live in!

                    • han tun
                      Message 10 of 11 , May 21 3:24 PM
                        Dear Sarah and Jon,

                        For no reason, I feel sad to know that you are moving.
                        I wish you the best of everything.
                        Please take good care.

                        with metta,
                        Han
                        Message 11 of 11 , May 21 3:59 PM
                          Dear Han

                          --- In dhammastudygroup@yahoogroups.com, han tun <hantun1@...> wrote:

                          > Dear Sarah and Jon,
                          >
                          > For no reason, I feel sad to know that you are moving.
                          > I wish you the best of everything.
                          > Please take good care.

                          Many thanks for your thoughts and good wishes.

                          When we were considering (in Adelaide in 1984) whether I should apply for a position with the Legal Department of the Hong Kong Government, I sought the advice of a legal colleague who had recently returned from a 3-year stint doing just that. He was positive about the move, but had just 1 bit of advice: don't stay there too long.

                          (It was well-intended advice. In those days many of the young expats who came to Hong Kong ended up gong off the rails in some manner or other.)

                          Now, 26 years later, we are moving on. Even now we are still not actually leaving Hong Kong, but it feels like we are. So there is some sadness for us too.

                          But we will have the continuity of the discussion with our friends here and that is a very comforting thing (Phil may pick me up on that!!).

                          Thanks again for your message.