Glad Generous Giving! :-)

  • Bhikkhu Samahita
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 31, 2010
      Friends:

      Generosity is the first Perfection:

      Generosity means willingness to give and share whatever.
      Generosity means magnanimous and open-handed liberality.
      Generosity means freedom from small and stingy pettiness.
      Generosity means practicing charity for the poor and unfortunate.
      Generosity means kind bigheartedness towards those worthy of it.
      Generosity means warm-hearted and altruistic unselfishness.
      Generosity provides the kammic cause for later wealth..
      Giving causes Getting... No Giving causes Poverty!

      The Blessed Buddha explained the treasure of generosity like this:
      When a disciple of the Noble Ones whose mind and
      mentality is all cleared of disgracing miserliness,
      living at home, is freely generous and open-handed,
      delighting in being magnanimous,
      responsive to every request and,
      is enjoying the giving of any alms.
      Such is this treasure called generosity.
      AN VII 6
      <http://www.pariyatti.com/book.cgi?prod_id=204050>

      Just as a filled pot, which is overturned,
      pours out all its water, leaving nothing back,
      even and exactly so should one give to those in need.
      whether low, middle or high, like the overturned pot,
      holding nothing back…!!!
      Jataka Nidana
      <http://www.pariyatti.com/book.cgi?prod_id=132935> [128-129]

      The Generosity of Giving,
      The Kindness in Speech,
      The Benefit of Service,
      The Impartiality of treating all Alike,
      These 4 threads of Sympathy
      upholds this world, like the axle do the cart!
      AN II 32
      <http://www.accesstoinsight.org/canon/anguttara/index.html>

      Giving food, one gives and later gets strength
      Giving clothes, one gives and later gets beauty
      Giving light, one gives and later gets vision
      Giving transportation, one gives and later gets ease.
      Giving shelter one gives all,
      Yet one who instructs in the True Dhamma
      - The supreme Teaching of the Buddhas -
      Such one gives the quite divine ambrosia!
      SN I 32
      <http://www.pariyatti.com/book.cgi?prod_id=948507>

      These are these five rewards of generosity:
      One is liked and charming to people at large,
      One is admired and respected by wise people,
      One's good reputation is spread wide about,
      One does not neglect a householder's true duty,
      and with the break-up of the body - at the moment
      of death - one reappears in a happy destination,
      in the plane of the divine worlds!
      AN V.35
      <http://www.pariyatti.com/book.cgi?prod_id=132552>

      There are these two kinds of gifts:
      material gifts and gifts of Dhamma.
      The supreme gift is that of Dhamma.
      There are these two kinds of sharing:
      material sharing and sharing of Dhamma.
      The supreme sharing is that of Dhamma.
      There are these two kinds of help:
      Material help and help with the Dhamma.
      This is the supreme of the two:
      help with this subtle Dhamma …
      It 98
      <http://www.pariyatti.com/book.cgi?prod_id=404214>

      The gift of Dhamma exceeds all other gifts.
      Dhammapada
      <http://What-Buddha-Said.net/Canon/Sutta/KN/Dhammapada.htm> 354

      The Bodhisatta once as king Sivi gave
      both his eyes to a beggar who was Sakka the
      king deity in disguise, who desired to test him.
      He remembered "While I was wishing to give,
      while I was giving and after this giving there
      was neither contrariety, nor opposition in my mind
      since it was for the purpose of awakening itself!
      Neither were these eyes, nor the rest of myself
      disagreeable to me. Omniscience was dear to me,
      therefore I gave both my eyes."
      The Basket of
      Conduct
      Cariyapitaka I-8
      Full story: Sivi
      Jataka no. 499 <http://www.pariyatti.com/book.cgi?prod_id=132609>

      The Bodhisatta once as the Wise Hare gave his roasted body
      as alms to a beggar by jumping into a fire:
      He remembered: "There came a beggar and asked for food.
      Myself I gave so that he might eat. In alms-giving there was
      none equal to me. In alms I had thereby reached the absolute
      ultimate perfection." From then and the rest of this world-cycle
      the moon will display a characteristic 'hare-in-the-moon' sign!
      Sasa-Jataka no.
      316 <http://www.pariyatti.com/book.cgi?prod_id=132609>

      Giving of things, treasures, external possessions, job,
      position, wife, and child is the first perfection of giving.
      Giving the offer of one's organs, limbs, and senses is
      the second higher perfection of giving.
      Giving the sacrifice of one's life is the ultimate
      perfection of giving.
      The clarifier of
      <http://www.pariyatti.com/book.cgi?prod_id=13069X> sweet meaning 89
      (Commentary on
      Buddhavamsa)

      Madhuratthavilasini [59]
      Venerable
      Buddhadatta: 5th century.

      Generosity is the first mental perfection (parami):
      Clinging and egoism creates internal panic and social tension.
      Giving and sharing creates internal elation and external harmony...
      What is gladly given, returns more than thousandfold!

      More of the 10 mental perfections (paramis):
      http://What-Buddha-Said.net/drops/IV/The_Ten_Perfections.htm
      http://What-Buddha-Said.net/drops/The_10_mental_perfections_(parami)_in_thre
      e_levels.htm

      More on Generosity (