[dsg] The Buddha's Path, Ch 7, no 1.

    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 1, 2010
      Dear friends,

      Chapter 7

      Mental development and meditation

      Mental development is the third of the threefold classification of
      wholesomeness. Mental development includes tranquil meditation as
      well as the development of insight wisdom. The first way of
      wholesomeness, generosity, and the second way of wholesomeness, good
      moral conduct, can be performed also without understanding of the
      cittas which arise, of kusala and akusala. For mental development,
      however, understanding is necessary. The understanding which arises
      in mental development is of different degrees, as we will see.
      The study of the Buddha�s teachings, the Dhamma, and the explaining
      of it to others are included in mental development. When one listens
      to the explanation of the Dhamma and reads the scriptures, one learns
      what is kusala and what is akusala, one learns about kamma and its
      result and about the ways to develop wholesomeness. One learns that
      realities are impermanent, suffering, dukkha, and non-self, anatt�.
      In order to develop understanding of the Dhamma, one should not only
      listen, one should also carefully consider what one hears and test
      its meaning. Explaining the Dhamma to others is included in mental
      development. Both speaker and listener can benefit, because they can
      be reminded of the need to verify the truth of the Dhamma in their
      own life. Understanding acquired through the study of the Dhamma is
      the foundation for tranquil meditation and insight meditation which
      are also included in mental development.
      Tranquil meditation and insight meditation have each a different aim
      and a different way of development. For both kinds of meditation
      right understanding of the aim and the way of development is
      indispensable.

      ********

    • santa_esi09
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 9, 2010
        I don't have any objection regarding other points in this short article, but I still need the explanation regarding the statement which mentions that the wholesomeness of generosity and the moral conduct can be performed without understanding of the arising citta. Actually, I do agree with you that these two can performed even without understanding the citta, but that will be good and more giving advantages when we are having the quality of generosity and performing the moral conduct with understanding of kusalacitta. Moreover if these two things are performed with the citta of somanassasahagata, ñānsampayutta asankharikam, that will be better, is not it? Hopefully, you can explain it further. Beside that, in the Sonadaṇḍa sutta of the Dighanikaya, it is said that sila dan paññā are not separate things. They are like two hands which help each other while washing itself. So I feel that as far as Buddhism is concerned, wisdom / understanding is always needed even in the practice of sila / moral conduct.

        Metta,
        /S. Santa

        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 10, 2010
          Dear Santa,
          Op 9-jan-2010, om 18:59 heeft santa_esi09 het volgende geschreven:

          > I do agree with you that these two can performed even without
          > understanding the citta, but that will be good and more giving
          > advantages when we are having the quality of generosity and
          > performing the moral conduct with understanding of kusalacitta.
          > Moreover if these two things are performed with the citta of
          > somanassasahagata, ñaa.nasampayutta asankharikam, that will be
          > better, is not it? Hopefully, you can explain it further. Beside
          > that, in the Sonadanda sutta of the Dighanikaya, it is said that
          > sila dana paññaa are not separate things. They are like two hands
          > which help each other while washing itself. So I feel that as far
          > as Buddhism is concerned, wisdom / understanding is always needed
          > even in the practice of sila / moral conduct.
          -------
          N:With pa~n~naa they can further develop and become more accomplished.
          Pa~n~naa is of different levels. It can be understanding of kusala as
          kusala, and it can be understanding of kusala as a conditioned
          dhamma, not self. The siila of the sotaapanna who has eradicated the
          wrong view of self is of such degree that there cannot be
          transgression of the five precepts. He cannot commit akusala kamma
          that leads to an unhappy rebirth.
          Through satipa.t.thaana the six doors are guarded. When daana and
          siila are performed without any idea of self they are purer.

        • Ken O
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 10, 2010
            Dear Santa

            sila and dana would be better with panna and not whether it is prompted or not prompted.   Sila can arise without panna likewise panna can arise without sila.  When both of them arise together, the development of sila would be develop for the eradication of latency.  Without panna, sila is for the ripening of kusala kamma and will not eradicate latency.

            thanks
            Ken O

            >I don't have any objection regarding other points in this short article, but I still need the explanation regarding the statement which mentions that the wholesomeness of generosity and the moral conduct can be performed without understanding of the arising citta. Actually, I do agree with you that these two can performed even without understanding the citta, but that will be good and more giving advantages when we are having the quality of generosity and performing the moral conduct with understanding of kusalacitta. Moreover if these two things are performed with the citta of somanassasahagata, ñānsampayutta asankharikam, that will be better, is not it? Hopefully, you can explain it further. Beside that, in the Sonadaṇ ḍa sutta of the Dighanikaya, it is said that sila dan paññā are not separate things. They are like two hands which help each other while washing itself. So I feel that as far as Buddhism is concerned, wisdom /
            understanding is always needed even in the practice of sila / moral conduct.

            >Metta,
            >/S. Santa

            New Email names for you!
            Hurry before someone else does!