87990Re: [dsg] Re: [ dsg] Re: Kamma, was Death.

  • Herman Hofman
    Jul 9, 2008
      Hi Jon,

      2008/7/9 Jonothan Abbott <jonabbott@...>:
      > Hi Herman
      > I'm getting the distinct impression you'd like to hear me say that a
      > dhamma is a consequence of conditions. OK then, consider it said ;-))
      > What next?

      As Nina is pointing out in her commentary quotes on the DN33 thread,
      food is one of the conditions for dhammas. Food, you know, as in
      morsel food.

      >>> When talking about deeds/action in the context of kamma, the dhamma in
      >>> question is cetana/intention (the mental factor).
      >> Intention has no consequences in the world, Jon. It may be a fact not
      >> to your liking, but your parents had to DO something other than
      >> intending, to bring you about. I can draw pictures if that will help :-)
      > I'm of course aware that, in the conventional view of things, it is
      > bodily or verbal action, rather than (mere) intention, that brings
      > consequences.

      There's nothing conventional about putting morsel food into your
      mouth, nor the certain death that will follow from a consistent
      failure to do that.

      > Nevertheless, it is the teaching of the Buddha (as I understand it) that
      > in that conventional scenario the significant dhamma, for the purposes
      > of the law of kamma, is the mental factor of intention, for it is this
      > that gives rise to the bodily or mental action.
      > The mental factor of intention, like all conditioned dhammas, has the
      > characteristics of anicca, dukkha and anatta. It is one of the dhammas
      > constituting 'the all' that, according to the suttas, is to be
      > understood and abandoned. Bodily or verbal actions, on the other hand,
      > cannot be the object of awareness/insight.

      Ohhh, really? The eating of food can be known, and commentated on, as
      a necessary condition for dhammas to arise, but that condition cannot
      be known by awareness or insight???

      I think someone has played a joke on you, and forget to tell you :-)

      > So no need to explain any further about the facts of life ;-)) The
      > teachings do not deny conventional truths, but they point to truths that
      > operate at a different level to the conventional.

      I think the facts of life are an inconvenient truth to those who
      desire an "ultimate" understanding.

    • Show all 367 messages in this topic