84525Re: [dsg] 3 Types of INSIGHT (panna)

  • upasaka@aol.com
    Apr 1, 2008
      Hi, TG (and all) -

      The article's presentation of the forms of pa~n~na strikes me as
      balanced, correct and comprehensive.
      What find idiosyncratic about Goenka's approach to matters is not his
      view on insight, but his perspective on vedana and meditation:
      His view of vedana is not that of knowing as pleasant, unpleasant, or
      affectively neutral, but is pretty much identical with knowing-as-an-object,
      particularly of bodily sensation, which is not distinguishable, as I see it,
      from body-door vi~n~nana.
      He seems to think that knowing of body-door rupas (bodily sensations) is
      the be-all and end-all. Now, I agree that bodily sensation is an extremely
      important foundation of mindfulness, and I have benefited greatly from the
      practice, but it is far from the sole practice. Awareness of vedana (in the true
      sense), of emotional reactions of craving, aversion, of mind-states of
      alertness, distraction, clarity and its lack, of volition (very important), and of
      thinking are also extremely important. Mental introspection and guarding the
      senses are of major importance.

      phantom, and a dream/

      (From the Diamond Sutra)

      Home.