69276Re: Antw.: [dsg] Q. Rupas, Ch 1, no 2

  • rjkjp1
    Mar 6, 2007
      --- In dhammastudygroup@yahoogroups.com, "Herman Hofman"
      <hhofmeister@...> wrote:

      >. You have approached the Abhidhamma in the light
      > of what Buddhaghosa has had to say about it. And what Buddhaghosa
      has
      > had to say about it is in stark contrast to the commentarial
      > guidelines that actually come with the Abhidhamma, the Katthavatthu.
      > In preferring Buddhaghosa, who wrote some 700 / 800 years after
      > Mogalliputta-tissa directions about how not to read the Abhidhamma,
      > you show a preference for a substantialist/essentialist,
      reductionist,
      > absolutist kind of world. This approach is distinctly at odds with
      the
      > way the KatthaVatthu directs the student to approach the Abhidhamma.
      >
      > If you interested in pursuing the matter, I point you to the
      following
      > publication.
      >
      > A History of Buddhist Philosophy: Continuities and Discontinuities,
      by
      > David J. Kalupahana; University of Hawaii Press, 1992
      >_________
      Dear Herman
      I read professor Kalupahana any years ago - found his books confusing
      and misleading about what Dhamma is. I can't remember specific
      details but he seemed to try to mix Mahayana in with his ideas about
      what Theravada shoudl be. But I don't have a copy of his book so if
      you want to discuss more, please quote the relevant passages.
      Robert
    • Show all 18 messages in this topic