69240Re: Antw.: [dsg] Q. Rupas, Ch 1, no 2

  • Herman Hofman
    Mar 5, 2007
      Hi RobK,

      Thank you for your comments.

      On 06/03/07, rjkjp1 <rjkjp1@...> wrote:
      > --- In dhammastudygroup@yahoogroups.com, "Herman Hofman"
      > <hhofmeister@...> wrote:
      > >
      > Dear Herman
      > Dhammas arise and fall away instantaneously, while the idea of an
      > intermediate being is rooted in an idea of a lasting being, it is
      > wrong view.

      Why do you say "dhammas rise and fall away instantaneously"? It would
      help to have something other than straight out assertion to work with
      . Am I mistaken in my understanding of the tradition you espouse that
      dhammas are composite events, comprised of namas and rupas. And that
      rupas last longer than namas? If rupas last longer than namas, what
      idea is being conveyed by asserting that dhammas arise and fall away
      instantaneously?

      > This thread may help
      > http://www.abhidhamma.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=148
      > Also as this is a Theravada forum presumably all members understand
      > that the ideas expressed should be Theravada, not Tibetan or any
      > other philosophy.

      Yes, this is a common appeal used to distinguish self from not-self,
      in an effort to keep not-self at bay. As in: "I am a Theravadin, not a
      Tibetan. Oh, and BTW, there are only cittas". But more about that
      later.

      If the dsg site intro did not say "The discussions include matters of
      both theory and practice, with the aim of developing precise
      understanding of dhammas ****(the 'realities' of the present
      moment)****, I wouldn't be here. I am here to discuss the realities of
      the present moment, not the doctrines about the realities of the
      present moment. There are no Theravadin/Tibetan etc dhammas, but
      there's plenty of Theravadin/Tibetan etc papanca.

      Kind Regards

      Herman
      PS I think this site needs a photo of a V8. I'll put up a photo in Sig
      Others of the Monaro before we got rid of it. 351, dual carby, roll
      cage, ideal wedding vehicle :-)
    • Show all 18 messages in this topic