6[dhammastudygroup] Re: Why study?

  • Robert Kirkpatrick
    Jan 2, 2000
      I think you explained it very well, Amara.
      It is true that the monks life is different from a
      laypersons life. But the path - which is a path of
      understanding - is the same for all. In the
      commentaries, which were recorded by monks , it is
      said that far more laypeople than monks attained the
      stages of enlightenment including anagami, sakadagami
      and sotapanna. This is not because a laypersons life
      is more suitable for developing wisdom but because
      there were more laypeople. The main point to realize
      is that the path is an internal development. The
      outward life one leads is not a reliable indication of
      whether wisdom is developing.

      You said that "Only those he knew would
      > become the anagamis at the least or the arahantas
      > were ordained, as well as
      > those who have attained were permitted to at once. "
      This is a little incorrect. The order became very
      large later in the Buddha's life and many people
      became monks or nuns who never attained any of the
      paths . And even laypeople , such as his father,
      became arahants. Of cause, once becoming arahant if
      they were going to live longer than a week they would
      enter the order.
      There were numerous men and women anagamis who, even
      after reaching that stage, spent the rest of their ,
      sometimes long, lives as laypeople.
      Robert

      http://messenger.yahoo.com
    • Show all 4 messages in this topic