58719Re: [dsg] A Very Brief Report on My Weekend Meditation "Retreat"

  • upasaka@aol.com
    May 1, 2006
      Hi, Nina -

      vangorko@... writes:

      > Hi Howard,
      > thanks for your report. There are a few problems. Fruition-consciousness is
      > vipaakacitta and it does not eradicate any defilement. Ven. Bhikkhu says
      > doubt and self view are uprooted later on, but only magga-citta eradicates.
      > This is strange, because there are no other maggacirras arising before
      > fruition.
      > Nina.

      I may have misrepresented Bhante. I think what he meant was that
      fruition occured after the third fetter was uprooted, not as its cause. (The
      uprooting of the 3rd fetter "marked" the arising of fruition.) Interesting that BB
      speaks of doubt and self view as being uprooted later. That is what Bhikkhu
      Gunaratana said as well, with only belief in the efficacy of rite and ritual
      being uprooted at the initial moment of path consciousness.

      phantom, and a dream./            (From the Diamond Sutra)