5433Re: Alzheimers

  • hhofman@dingoblue.net.au
    Jun 3, 2001
      Dear Robert, Antony, Num et al,

      I certainly wasn't making light of Alzheimers disease, nor do I think
      that was suggested by anyone. I too have some second hand experience
      with this condition. There is something very sobering about your old
      grandmother yelling out to her mother that her nappies need changing.

      I used Alzheimers where I should have specified someone without
      memory. I can look at a tree, and realise that the sun is necessary
      for this tree, without me seeing the sun. Memory, allowing the
      conceiving of the interrelatedness of things without seeing those
      things, but accepting they are there, from memory.

      We emphasise being aware of the present moment, and I certainly don't
      quarrel with that. Does awareness of this single moment include
      Lakkhana, Rasa, Paccupatthana and Padatthana? Can all of these be
      grasped in a single moment?

      (I have this sneaking suspicion that there is no such thing as a
      discreet single moment, but rather that all realities involve every
      reality that has ever been. Just hypothesising, of course :-))

      With Metta

      --- In dhammastudygroup@y..., Robert Kirkpatrick