3440Re: [DhammaStudyGroup] Re: what can citta know?

  • Sarah Procter Abbott
    Feb 13, 2001
      Dear Mike,

      --- "m. nease" <mlnease@...> wrote: > Dear Num,

      While we wait for Num to return from South America,
      may I chip in?

      > Yes, and the Vacchagotta is particuarly interesting
      > as
      > an example of the Buddha directly teaching right
      > view
      > to a layperson with no reference to any kind of
      > bhavana:

      http://www.accesstoinsight.org/canon/majjhima/mn72.html

      Is this true? For me, when I read the sutta it is all
      about bhavana and in particular about vipassana
      bhavana (development of insight mental development).
      The following extract is talking about understanding
      the 5 khandhas(aggregates) consisting of rupa, vedana,
      sanna, citta and cetaskikas, as not self. This is the
      heart of vipassana bhavana:

      quote: <Does Master Gotama have any position at all?"
      "A 'position,' Vaccha, is something that a Tathagata
      has done away with. What a Tathagata sees is this:
      'Such is form, such its origin, such its
      disappearance; such is feeling, such its origin, such
      its disappearance; such is perception...such are
      mental fabrications...such is consciousness, such its
      origin, such its disappearance.' Because of this, I
      say, a Tathagata -- with the ending, fading out,
      cessation, renunciation, & relinquishment of all
      construings, all excogitations, all I-making &
      mine-making & tendencies to conceits -- is, through
      lack of sustenance/clinging, released." end quote>

      Have I misunderstood you?

      Regards,