33671Re: [dsg] fetters, jealousy.

  • nina van gorkom
    Jun 6, 2004
      Hi Sarah and Howard,
      op 01-06-2004 13:22 schreef upasaka@... op upasaka@...:

      > Inasmuch as the commentaries are not Buddha word, and inasmuch as I
      > don't have full certainty that the Abhidhamma Pitaka isn't a later, synoptic,
      > systematic codification of the Buddhadhamma, when I come across something that
      > seems to go beyond what is in the suttas, and not just in explanatory detail
      > but in the items included, I am inclined to seek sutta sources for it or to
      > seek
      > an explanation of the reasoning that led to it.
      N: I understand. If possible I also look for suttas, in order to demonstrate
      the unity of the Tipitaka.
      I looked in my Pali dict PED for more references. In different locations
      there are different ways of classifying the fetters. Classifications are not
      rigid, they can be different for stressing different aspects. They are also
      classified as eight. The Teacher used endless methods (naya, pariyaaya) for
      the sake of those capable of being led to enlightenment (bhuddha veneyya). I
      do not see such differences as contradictions.
      The fetters are classified as five lower fetters and five higher fetters in
      the Vibhanga Ch 17, §940, and also in the Suttas. In another classification
      (as mentioned in Dhsg and in the Vibhanga Ch 17, § 969) they include envy
      and stinginess.
      Sarah:
      Quotes:Vatthupana Sutta, MN7 (The Simile of the
      Cloth) and commentary notes as provided by Nyanaponika in a wheel
      publication.
      Interesting details. The sixteen defilements are not exactly the ten
      fetters. There is something confusing in the transl of:
      7. issa, envy
      8. macchariya, jealousy, or avarice; selfishness
      N: macchariya means avarice or stinginess, not envy or jealousy, which stand
      for the Pali issa.
      Indeed, we need the commentary here for the understanding of the details.
      In the suttas the sotapanna is sometimes designated by different wordings:
      who has unshakable confidence in the Triple Gem and lives openhanded,
      without stinginess (thus, he has eradicated stinginess or avarice), who has
      crossed over doubt without someone else's help, who has the pure Dhamma eye.
      But the last one is also used for those who have attained higher stages of
      enlightenment.