32674Re: [dsg] VISIBLE OBJECT IS NOT A DOT OF LIGHT!!!

  • robmoult
    May 1, 2004
      Hi TG,

      --- In dhammastudygroup@yahoogroups.com, TGrand458@a... wrote:
      > In a message dated 5/1/2004 3:35:22 AM Pacific Standard Time,
      > rob.moult@j... writes:
      > I was refering to a pixel, not a photon.
      >
      > According to the commentary, the following are the necessary
      > conditions for sense consciousness to arise:
      > - Eye sensitivity (eye has to work, not blind)
      > - Visible object
      > - Light
      > - Attention
      >
      > In other words, photons (light) are necessary for eye
      consciousness,
      > but they are different from visible object.
      >
      > Metta,
      > Rob M :-)
      > Hi Rob
      >
      > Understand what you mean. That makes sense and I can basically
      agree with
      > it. However, I will maintain that light is still technically the
      visible
      > object. I think the commentary is a little wrong.
      >
      > The forms that light bounces off and become perceivable thereby,
      would be
      > analogous to a mountain side that reflects sounds as an echo. I'm
      not sure
      > anyone would claim that a mountain side is an "audible object."
      (To some extent
      > both forms would be supporting factors.)
      >
      > The sun is primarily the "visible object" that we experience. Even
      fires we
      > may burn or light bulbs we might electrify are derivitives that
      were primarily
      > fueled by the electro-magnetic energy of the sun. I.E., it took
      solar energy
      > to grow the trees, to elevate water whereby dams and generators
      could produce
      > electricity, to support the dinosaurs that who's oil we now convert
      into
      > energy, etc.
      >
      > When a light bulb is "burning," the visible object is the light
      emmiting from
      > the filiment. The walls, chairs, tables, etc. are not "themselves"
      visible.
      > They only echo light into shapes/colors whereby we interpret what
      those
      > shapes and colors mean.

      Everything arises because of multiple conditions. We can say that the
      conditions that contributed to the arising of the tree include (among
      others):
      - sun
      - rain
      - soil
      - seed

      Imagine that there are three trees grouped together; an oak, a maple
      and a pine. Though all three trees had the same conditions of sun,
      rain and soil, it is the seed that makes each tree unique.

      For eye consciousness to arise, the following conditions are required:
      - Eye sensitivity (eye has to work, not blind)
      - Visible object
      - Light
      - Attention

      I see the condition of "light" as a "common conditioning factor"
      (like sun, rain and soil) and I see "visible object" as a "specific
      conditioning factor" (like the seed).

      Metta,
      Rob M :-)
    • Show all 19 messages in this topic