23356Re: Inquiry to Nina... for Victor

  • yu_zhonghao
    Jul 9, 2003
      Hi Azita,

      Thank you for your reply.

      Couple points:

      1. Being on holidays, lying back on the beach in beautiful weather,
      one can feel quite peaceful. This is a refined pleasant feeling.

      2. This pleasant feeling is not the same as lobha/greed. A pleasant
      feeling is neither wholesome nor unwholesome. Lobha/greed, subtle
      or not, on the other hand, is unwholesome.

      3. This pleasant feeling, however, is impermanent,
      dukkha/unsatisfactory, and it is to be seen as it actually is with
      right discernment thus: "This is not mine. This I am not. This is
      not my self."

      4. If one does not have the desire/motivation to realize the
      cessation of the dukkha, one would never get there. With
      desire/motivation to reach the cessation of the dukkha, one takes
      the noble eightfold path, which leads to the cessation of dukkha.
      Once the goal is achieved, liberation attained, there is nothing
      left to be done.

      5. When you say that cessation is not attained by wishing, it is
      attained by Knowledge, do you mean that it is the noble eightfold
      path that leads to the cessation of dukkha, and this noble eightfold
      path is to be developed?

      Your comments are appreciated.

      Peace,
      Victor

      --- In dhammastudygroup@yahoogroups.com, "gazita2002"
      <gazita2002@y...> wrote:
      [snip]
      > dear Victor,
      > perhaps not while being greedy, but I believe with very
      subtle
      > lobha, one can feel very peaceful e.g. imagine being on holidays,
      > lying back on the beach, beautiful weather, without a care in the
      > world at the moment, for me, that's very peaceful but I wouldn't
      say
      > it was kusala.

      [snip]
      > Regarding the discourse, I'm wondering if the desire that's
      > spoken about is Chanda, which is desire-to-do, rather than Lobha.
      > The discourse is very uplifting, but if I didn't have some
      knowledge
      > of Abhidhamma, I would think that 'I' could do something to attain
      > Enlightenment.
      > I want to quote something that I just read from Nina:
      > 'so long as we have many defilements which arise time and
      again
      > and we have desire for the realization of the 4 Noble Truths, we
      are
      > very far from the goal'.
      > I know that I don't know just h0w deep 'my' defilements are,
      but
      > I'm fairly certain that there is a lot more akusala in a day than
      > kusala.
      > Cessation is not attained by wishing, it is attained by
      > Knowledge, and I quote here from Kom:
      > 'the 1st stage of insight is the distinction bet. nama and
      rupa.
      > Without this stage of insight, the person still holds dear all the
      > Khandhas as being truly theirs.'
      >
      > I present my question about Nibbana a little differently.
      > In Nina's book 'Conditions' p36, it says 'anything can be object
      of
      > clinging, except Nibbana'. Why is this?
      >
      > Thanks for dragging me out of the lurkers' corner, Victor.
      > patience, courage and good cheer,
      > Azita
    • Show all 26 messages in this topic