23253Re: Inquiry to Nina... for Victor

  • gazita2002
    Jul 2, 2003
      --- In dhammastudygroup@yahoogroups.com, "yu_zhonghao"
      <yu_zhonghao@y...> wrote:
      > Hi Azita,
      >
      > Thank you for your reply.
      >
      > Some more rhetorical questions:
      > Can one experience calm and peacefulness while being greedy? When
      > one is greedy, how can he or she experience calm and peacefulness?

      dear Victor,
      perhaps not while being greedy, but I believe with very subtle
      lobha, one can feel very peaceful e.g. imagine being on holidays,
      lying back on the beach, beautiful weather, without a care in the
      world at the moment, for me, that's very peaceful but I wouldn't say
      it was kusala.

      -snip-
      , let me know how you understand the discourse.

      > Peace,
      > Victor

      Regarding the discourse, I'm wondering if the desire that's
      spoken about is Chanda, which is desire-to-do, rather than Lobha.
      The discourse is very uplifting, but if I didn't have some knowledge
      of Abhidhamma, I would think that 'I' could do something to attain
      Enlightenment.
      I want to quote something that I just read from Nina:
      'so long as we have many defilements which arise time and again
      and we have desire for the realization of the 4 Noble Truths, we are
      very far from the goal'.
      I know that I don't know just h0w deep 'my' defilements are, but
      I'm fairly certain that there is a lot more akusala in a day than
      kusala.
      Cessation is not attained by wishing, it is attained by
      Knowledge, and I quote here from Kom:
      'the 1st stage of insight is the distinction bet. nama and rupa.
      Without this stage of insight, the person still holds dear all the
      Khandhas as being truly theirs.'

      I present my question about Nibbana a little differently.
      In Nina's book 'Conditions' p36, it says 'anything can be object of
      clinging, except Nibbana'. Why is this?

      Thanks for dragging me out of the lurkers' corner, Victor.
      patience, courage and good cheer,
      Azita
    • Show all 26 messages in this topic