22635Re: Precepts

  • kenhowardau
    Jun 3, 2003
      Hi Rob M,

      I am very fortunate to have you and other Abhidhamma
      teachers so close at hand. Studying it on my own would
      be next to impossible.

      Some of the your explanations in this post, did not sink
      in. They prompted me to do some reading on decisive
      support condition (upanissaya-paccaya): The result:
      mental blank :-)

      What helps me more than anything else, is to be
      continually reminded of; the present moment, nama and
      rupa, and anatta. My gratitude for these reminders,
      makes me only too keen to do the same for others. At some
      of our local discussion meetings, one good friend of mine
      has been known to storm out of the room!

      In my opinion, for what it's worth, the best thing you
      can do as an Abhidhamma teacher is to impress anatta on
      your students at every opportunity. What use is a
      knowledge of the Dhamma if there is the belief in a self
      who has it?

      Even more insidious: What use is a 'practice' of the
      Dhamma if there is a belief in a self who is practising?

      You write:
      -------------
      > From the Bhumija Sutta (MN126), it is clear that good
      results come from proper practice, not good intentions.
      Does it make any difference if "proper practice" happened
      to be partially motivated (i.e. "decisive support
      condition") by akusala? I don't think so. >
      --------------
      and later:
      --------------
      > When in the "exhorting mode", I don't think that the
      Buddha was concerned about propogating a wrong view of
      self who can change things. When the monks followed
      the Buddha's exhortations and went to meditate, the monks
      would recognize the Dhamma through direct experience. >
      --------------

      I'm not sure what to make of the above. The time to
      practise is here and now -- there can be no other time
      [for anything]. If there are akusala motives here and
      now, then that's my world -- akusala.

      Kind regards,
      Ken

      --- In dhammastudygroup@yahoogroups.com, "robmoult" <rob.moult@j...>
      wrote:
      > Hi Ken H,
      >
      > I believe that the Buddha's approach of using a mixture of
      > conventional and absolute terms to be extremely important. When the
      > Buddha was in His "analysis mode", He used absolute terms. When the
      > Buddha was in His "exhorting mode", He used conventional terms.
      >
      > Why did I volunteer to teach an Abhidhamma class each Sunday
      > morning? I must admit that there was
    • Show all 23 messages in this topic