22576Re: Precepts

  • robmoult
    Jun 1, 2003
      Hi Ken,

      The Buddha very often gave exhortations using conventional terms:
      - "Strive on with diligence"
      - "Avoid evil, do good, purify the mind"

      There are dozens, perhaps hundreds, of similar examples in the
      Suttas. I will do some checking, but I think that the Buddha even
      used this type of language when talking to those who had already
      attained the level of Sotapanna and had eliminated self-view.

      Metta,
      Rob M :-)

      --- In dhammastudygroup@yahoogroups.com, "kenhowardau"
      <kenhowardau@y...> wrote:
      > Dear RobM and Christine,
      >
      > Rob wrote:
      > > Examine the conditions that caused you to break a precept.
      > > Make a mental note to watch out for those conditions in the
      future
      > > and try to avoid falling into the same pattern that led you to
      > break
      > > a precept yesterday.
      >

      > Obviously, that is good advice but is it the best advice?
      > There is no self who can learn from her mistakes and try
      > harder in the future. But, thanks to the Buddha, there
      > is a description of how mind states come and go by
      > conditions. An understanding of that description, is
      > the most potent condition for kusala states to arise now
      > and in the future.
      >
      > Sorry to be nit-picking, but we must remember that the
      > Middle Way is like no other:-)
      >
      > Kind regards,
      > Ken H
    • Show all 23 messages in this topic