134408Visit to a Thai temple

  • moult_rob
    Dec 21, 2013

      Friends,

      I was recently in Bangkok on business. I have a colleague / friend who is an active Buddhist. I said to him, “I have had many opportunities to learn about the Sri Lankan approach to Buddhism and I have also learned about the Burmese approach. I would like to learn more about the Thai approach to Buddhism. I have some free time before I fly out later this week. Can we arrange a breakfast dana at a temple?” He agreed immediately.

      We visited a temple just outside of Bangkok. The monks were from the Thai Forest Tradition. Most Thai Forest Tradition monks, such as Ajahn Brahm, only practice samatha meditation and do not put a focus on Abhidhamma. The temple that I visited was different. This particular branch of the Thai Forest Tradition, under Venerable Pramote Pamojjo, focuses on awareness of the present moment in daily life as a vipassana practice and incorporates the Abhidhamma. Apparently, this approach is gaining popularity among young professional Thais.

      Luangpor Pramote was not present during the dana, but I had a wonderful discussion with a senior monk and one of his students, Jess; a Canadian from Toronto (just as I am) who translates the teacher’s work into English. You can download a copy of a recent book “The Buddhist Way to Peace of Mind” with fantastic graphics and clear explanation from the following site:

      http://www.dhamma.com/the-buddhist-way-to-peace-of-mind/

      I picked up a couple of additional books containing Jess’ translations of Luangpor Pramote’s dhamma talks and I plan to use them as airplane reading. Each approach to practice has its strengths and its weakness; I am attracted to the idea that this approach is focused on application to daily life rather than in a retreat setting. Of course, getting attached to any practice or the wrong view that there is a self that practices is an obstruction.

      Jess and I had a very interesting discussion about how the nature of the Thai language had influenced the approach to practice in Thailand. Recently, I have been reading a book from Pali Text Society, “A Philological  Approach to Buddhism”, by K R Norman which stresses the importance of language;  a fascinating topic that I will probably touch upon in another post someday.

      Metta,

      Rob M :-)

    • Show all 5 messages in this topic