134392Re: [dsg] Q. Jataka commentaries? Part 4

    Dec 19, 2013
      Dear Sarah,
      When people read these discussions I think that misunderstandings may arise.
      Op 19 dec 2013, om 06:48 heeft sarah abbott het volgende geschreven:

      R: No need for the books so much, it's more the daily life then. Is that right?

      A Sujin: It doesn't matter at all as long as they are all realities which are conditioned. So just understand whatever appears. It's time to see, it sees, it's conditioned to see right now. It's time to think, it thinks. It's time to be angry, it's anger, not self who is angry.
      -------
      N: Of course it is very good to stress the present moment that arises because of conditions:  <It's time to see, it sees, it's conditioned to see right now. It's time to think, it thinks. It's time to be angry, it's anger, not self who is angry.>

      The Buddha taught for fortyfive years, and listening is emphasized very much in the teachings. Listening to what? To the Buddha's words. It depends on a person's accumulations whether or not he listens to the teachings, or what part of the teachings he prefers. If there were no listening or association with the good friend in Dhamma we would be lost. We need also the good friend in Dhamma, because if we just read by ourselves we may read with wrong understanding. Not knowing that the whole of the Buddha's teachings are aimed to have more understanding of whatever reality appears. They may separate the teachings and daily life.
      I do not want to argue anything, but these are just some of my reflections.
      As to the Jaatakas, I find the way A. Sujin quoted them in her Perfections very helpful. Valuable reminders for daily life.