127547Re: [dsg] Macchariya (2)

  • han tun
    Nov 1, 2012
      Dear Nina,

      N: I think that it is not macchariya alone. He is comparing: why not to me? This shows conceit. Also a lot of ignorance. Ignorance is very dangerous. And wrong view: he took his practice for self: see, I am practising in this way.

      Han: The role of macchariya was at the time of Kassapa Buddha, when Jambuka was a monk and reviled the visiting monk out of jealousy. Not during his last life.

      What he was doing and what happened to him during the time of Gautama Buddha was exactly as what you have said.

      One accumulation of kusala that helped him in attaining Arahantship was his meditation practice for twenty thousand years before he committed those evil deeds against the visiting monk out of jealousy.

      No, not thinking of stories or speculating. The Buddha taught him the standard formula of "gradual training" of six kathaas, i.e. daana kathaa, sillaa kathaa and so on.

      with metta and respect,
      Han

      --- On Thu, 11/1/12, Nina van Gorkom <vangorko@...> wrote:
      Dear Han,
      Thank you for this series. I could add something.
      Op 31-okt-2012, om 20:51 heeft han tun het volgende geschreven:

      -------
      N: I think that it is not macchariya alone. He is comparing: why not
      to me? This shows conceit. Also a lot of ignorance. Ignorance is very
      dangerous. And wrong view: he took his practice for self: see, I am
      practising in this way.
      Then the Buddha preached to him and he knew the right words so that
      Jambuka could be aware of naama and ruupa even while listening. Only
      in that way he could become an arahat.
      The details about the vipassanaa ~naa.nas he had to attain are not
      mentioned in the sutta, but it is good we also have the Abhidhamma
      and the commentaries. Otherwise we would not understand how he could
      attain arahatship by just listening once. It shows that he must have
      had accumulated understanding during countless lives. This is
      referred to in the commentary to the Theratheriigatha, for example in
      Theriigatha, LXXIII, Sumedhaa: <She too, having made her resolve
      under former Buddhas, and heaping up good of age-enduring efficacy
      thoroughly preparing the conditions of emancipation...>
      Thus, age-enduring, for kappas or aeons. Thoroughly preparing: being
      aware over and over again, developing understanding of the present
      object. It has to be the present one. Not thinking of stories or
      speculating.