126326Re: [dsg] conditions for understanding to arise

  • philip
    Sep 3, 2012
      Hi Jagkrit

      > > However, I wonder where is the fine line between substantial thinking vs delirious thinking? What is the criterion we can use as awareness during reading or discussing dhamma which can be self reminder when no one around to keep us in the line?

      In Abhidhamma isn't "substantial thinking" related to vitekka/vicara? We don't really understand what those terms mean, not really, though we think we do when we read the similes of the bee and the flower or whatever it is. But they are performing their functions (in some way we can't really understand) when there is seeing, hearing etc. So I think studying Abhidhamma and accepting that there are dhammas performing functions is fine, no matter how subtle the dhamma and the function is, but as soon as we get really attracted to a description of how things work, or come across an attractive simile and start to wrap are mind around it to see where it makes sense, the delerious thinking starts, a little. Then there can be conditions for letting go of the conceptual thinking, having gained a little understanding in a fairly detached way, or there can be conditions for getting lost in it, the way, for example, people get lost in speculating about D.O, 3 lifetimes, this moment, blah blah blah. We got lost, our thinking gets deleious. But friends like A.Sujin bring us back to seeing now, hearing now. That's the way I see it, we should approach Dhamma teachngs, touch them, and let go, touch them, and let go, touch them, and let go. But maybe that's just me, perhaps people do indeed develop understanding of the present reality by wrestling to work things out in discussion/debate.

      Phil
    • Show all 25 messages in this topic