125747Self-Correction Re: [dsg] Khandhas - audio extract KK 2011

  • truth_aerator
    Aug 1, 2012
      Dear Sarah,

      I believe that rupa is included in rupakhandha but is not exactly the same thing.

      Khandha is a category that includes different types of rupa (past, future, or present, internal or external, gross or subtle, inferior or superior, far or near).

      > S: Yes, "meanings of a Pali word, not an English one"
      >
      > Let's look at SN 48 (Bodhi transl):
      >
      > "At Saavatthii. 'Bhikkhus, I will teach you the five aggregates and the five aggregates subject to clinging. Listen to that........
      >
      > 'And what, bhikkhus, are the five aggregates? Whatever kind of form there is, whether past, future, or present, internal or external, gross or subtle, inferior or superior, far or near: this is called the form aggregate.'"
      >
      > [S: in other words, any past rupa is rupa khandha, any future rupa is rupa khandha, any rupa arising now is rupa khandha and so on. Each rupa shares the characteristics of being rupa with each other rupa, therefore each one is rupa khandha.]

      With best wishes,

      Alex
    • Show all 5 messages in this topic